Daniel Cabrera?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daniel Cabrera??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby West » Tue May 10, 2005 9:47 pm

Well, that article certaintly explains alot. I just picked him up in my 12 team mixed keeper. After watching the highlights from last night's game on Sportscenter, I simply had to get him. His breaking pitches were disgusting and his fastball is just unbelievable. Cabrera owners can only hope he keeps it up and doesn't wear down as the season goes on. His next few starts will be interesting.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby booboo » Tue May 10, 2005 11:38 pm

grab cabrera.
taking risks on cabrera is what it takes to win leagues by getting great value from a 5th or 6th starting pitcher.

the signs are all there (wildness, high whip, youth) for him to implode now and then, but 100 mph fastballs with movement and filthy breaking balls, coupled with the awesome ray miller (pitching coach) and an explosive offense make him a better pickup then other legitimate 5th or 6th starting pitchers who consistently put up mildy attractive 5th or 6th string starting stats.

the signs are both there for him to be great and for him to be awful. so it comes down to your intuition of whether he is the real deal right now. personally, i can't justify my reason for why i think he is the real deal right now, but by watching him pitch both this year and last, my intuition tells me that he is.

you should go with what your intution tells you, and not by people writing that he's wild and has no control. how would you ever get a real bargain that you discovered for yourself when you listen to same recycled junk people are saying, you know? grab him. no regrets.
booboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 am

i think cabrera is a good guy to gamble on right now.

he has great stuff...yeah he walks too many guys...but i still think he can have better control of his pitches...someday... ;-) the dude is young...give him some more time and he'll be good. :-)

i didn't watch his game against the twins...but i did happen to catch his game against the jays...he pitched great.

his next start is against the white sox in chicago...hopefully he'll do well. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby swingaway » Wed May 11, 2005 3:21 am

intresting seems like another baltimore pitcher from a year ago about this time was causing the same type of buzz :-B
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 11, 2005 6:26 am

swingaway wrote:intresting seems like another baltimore pitcher from a year ago about this time was causing the same type of buzz :-B

what is this matt riley that you speak of?

????
:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reiser » Wed May 11, 2005 10:35 am

KolbSaves wrote:
The Washington Post wrote:Cabrera had been unable to harness that talent in the season's first month. Things had gotten so bad that the team skipped one of Cabrera's starts just so Miller could work with him. The solution was to change the way he kicked his left leg, forcing him to lift it slightly lower and pull it back just a bit farther in his delivery. Apparently it's made all the difference.

In Cabrera's last start -- the first after the changes -- he struck out what was then a career-high eight in a 1-0 loss to Toronto. He now has 19 strikeouts in two games and has gone from unusable to almost unhittable.

The other day, as Miller watched Cabrera throw on the side, he tried to determine the exact point where the pitcher released the ball. He marked it on the ground and then measured that distance to home plate. It was just 50 feet.

"Can you imagine he's throwing the ball 98 mph from just 50 feet?" Miller said. "He's right on top of the hitter when he lets it go."

Finally the Orioles are seeing just how good that can be.

The change in mechanics leads me to believe he can continue to be effective and not revert back to his prior numbers.

kind of sounds like this year's Oliver Perez. hehe.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Fri May 13, 2005 1:54 pm

I watched his last game and it was nothing short of dominating. Dominating enough that I ran to the computer to pick him off waivers. Now that I have him, Im not sure Im confident enough to start him tomorrow at CWS? Anyone else in the same predicament?
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby The Guru » Fri May 13, 2005 2:33 pm

I'm waiting to see how he does against the CWS before I pick him up.

If he pitches well then that would be 3 solid starts in a row. Thats enough for me to start him with confidence.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Grab him now, but I wouldn't start him just yet. The White Sox can murder a pitchers numbers in their house. But if he's on the wire, grab him now. If he does well against the Sox, it will be too late.
The 100 MPH heater is nice, and it has movement. But his success against Minnesota was due to his hard breaking ball. He was spotting it and it had unbelievable movement.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers