Daniel Cabrera?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daniel Cabrera??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daniel Cabrera??

Postby delux_247 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:39 am

I just heard this dude was hitting 100mph last night all through out his 8 innings of work. The guy is 6'7'' 250lbs and only 23 years old!

100mph!!?? How can this guy not strike out 200 people this year? Is this a great sleeper or am I just really out of the loop?

Any background info on this guy would great!
delux_247
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 10, 2005 11:45 am

He's a young pitcher...Did well on and off last year..Probably has a year or two more of seasoning before he is really worth a pickup..He could win 3 in a row and k say 5 a game but he could alos lose 3 in a row k 2 and let up 8 er's...He's a gamble but in a keeper league a possible spot starter
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Jury » Tue May 10, 2005 11:56 am

He'll probably be good in a couple years, but he needs some time to work it all out. He's showing flashes this year, but he's not yet a solid everyday option.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 am

If you have an extra roster spot roll the dice now. He's put in two amazing starts together and could easily rival Bedard this year if he keeps it together.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:26 pm

KolbSaves wrote:If you have an extra roster spot roll the dice now. He's put in two amazing starts together and could easily rival Bedard this year if he keeps it together.

Both him and Bedard are intresting. I know that Bedard started 2 games against Tampa and none against either the Yankees or Sox. SO I take his #'s w/ a grain of salt. I don't know how many starts Cabrera has against those two teams.
Both are doing well now, but both will pay their pennance at some point this year, IMO. I believe that both (especially Bedard) will be very good pitchers in the future. This year, both will do fine, but eventually they will face the wrath of both the Yanks & Sox & the respective ERA's & WHIP's will ballon.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue May 10, 2005 1:57 pm

sometimes you just can't afford to wait....get him now
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Raf » Tue May 10, 2005 3:26 pm

His fastballs had nice movement too..
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue May 10, 2005 8:30 pm

He had a good game against Minnesota, but he's had really bad control all year still. The walks are a huge problem for him, and I don't see him being a good fantasy option this season. Last season was outright horrible but at least he should be better than that, even if it's only a borderline 5.00 ERA still. Other than the game against the Twins he was the same crappy pitcher as last year.
Last edited by LBJackal on Tue May 10, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Punisher » Tue May 10, 2005 8:32 pm

He scares me, If he was too get his control down there is no reason to say he wouldnt be a top starter. But he has some serious control issues, although he does get a decent amount of K's he normally gets just as many walks, and a guy that gives up a lot of freebies isnt the best guy to have on your team
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm

The Washington Post wrote:Cabrera had been unable to harness that talent in the season's first month. Things had gotten so bad that the team skipped one of Cabrera's starts just so Miller could work with him. The solution was to change the way he kicked his left leg, forcing him to lift it slightly lower and pull it back just a bit farther in his delivery. Apparently it's made all the difference.

In Cabrera's last start -- the first after the changes -- he struck out what was then a career-high eight in a 1-0 loss to Toronto. He now has 19 strikeouts in two games and has gone from unusable to almost unhittable.

The other day, as Miller watched Cabrera throw on the side, he tried to determine the exact point where the pitcher released the ball. He marked it on the ground and then measured that distance to home plate. It was just 50 feet.

"Can you imagine he's throwing the ball 98 mph from just 50 feet?" Miller said. "He's right on top of the hitter when he lets it go."

Finally the Orioles are seeing just how good that can be.

The change in mechanics leads me to believe he can continue to be effective and not revert back to his prior numbers.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers