Rumor: Dodgers Interested in Polanco and Howard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Dodgers Interested in Polanco and Howard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Punisher » Tue May 10, 2005 8:30 pm

Phillies might be interested in Chad Billingsley as well
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed May 11, 2005 1:42 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:I'd really be curious as to what the Dodgers have that the Phillies would want. While Polanco would fill a glaring hole, and Howard could replace Choi if Choi's current performance is a mirage, where do the Phillies benefit?

If I am correct, the Phillies are playing to win this year, not rebuilding. They need pitching help the most, and it isn't like the Dodgers have a lot to spare, especially with E. Jackson's ERA looking like a helium baloon (higher and higher with each start). They definitely have some great minor league talent, but most of it is AA (pitching-wise). Who knows - may happen, but I'm missing how the Dodgers match up with the Phillies unless the latter doesn't think they can win this year.

I agree, I cant for the life of me figure out who LA would trade away.
Of course Philly does need a CF, maybe Milton?

There's no way DePo trades Milton for Polanco. Or Brazoban. Who knows what he's cooking up, but I doubt he's dumb enough to trade either of those guys...

well I thought it was for Polanco and Howard ..

LA has Werth coming back, and they seem to be very happy with Repko. I believe Milton is a FA after this year and was not a Repodesta guy...
I have nothing to back this up of course, just random speculation
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby wrveres » Wed May 11, 2005 3:55 pm

Update

The Phillies are willing to part ways with Polanco, who is making $4.6 million this season, now that third baseman David Bell has overcome spring-training back problems, second baseman Chase Utley has emerged as one of the Phillies’ most dependable hitters and outfielder Marlon Byrd has returned from a fractured finger.

Polanco, who has been displeased after losing his starting job to Utley, didn’t mince words when asked what he would think of going from a "super-utility player" for the last-place team in the National League East to the everyday third baseman for the leaders in the N.L. West.

"That would be great," Polanco said.

The Dodgers have tried to replace Adrian Beltre, who signed the Mariners as a free agent this winter, with a combination of Jose Valentin (.194) and Norihiro Nakamura (.128) with pathetic results. With Valentin sidelined for at least two months with a knee injury, the Dodgers signed Mexican League journeyman Oscar Robles and started him at third Tuesday night.

Although Polanco hasn’t been great this year -- he entered Tuesday hitting .229 with six RBIs -- he did hit .298 last season and is a career .295 hitter who offers lineup flexibility.

As for what the Phillies would want in exchange for Polanco, the obvious desire would be an arm from L.A.’s outstanding bullpen. The guy who best fits the bill is reliever Duaner Sanchez. The 25-year-old right-hander is 1-1 with a 3.45 ERA in 152/3 innings this season and went 3-1 with a 3.38 ERA in 67 games last season.

There are other possibilities in a potential deal.

The Phillies wouldn’t mind packaging first baseman Ryan Howard in the trade. Although the Dodgers are hurting at the hot corner in the majors, they have a handful of good prospects at the position who are a year or two away from the big leagues. The Phillies’ sorry farm system, meanwhile, has third base at or near the top of the list of need positions. That said, the Phillies might want to send Howard to L.A. for someone like 21-year-old Andy LaRoche. The younger brother of Braves’ infielder Adam LaRoche was rated the fifth-best prospect in the Dodgers’ system by Baseball America. The right-handed hitter is batting .356 with nine home runs and 26 RBIs for Class A Vero Beach and should make his way to Double-A by the end of the season.

The Dodgers also have an intriguing arm in right-hander Edwin Jackson. Once L.A.’s prized pitching prospect, Jackson lost his luster when he faltered badly in both Triple-A and the majors in 2004. After getting knocked around this spring training, Jackson, 21, is getting bombed in the minors (2-2, 7.06 ERA).
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers