Aaron Heilman??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Heilman???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aaron Heilman???

Postby gws226 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:34 am

There seems to be nothing about this guy on the waiver wire since the note "temp callup" 7 starts back now.

I didn't watch tonights game, but he was pulled in the 6th after giving up a double and walk?

since being called up he's pitched a 1 hitter has a 30/13 kk/bb ratio 1.11 whip.

And if you overlook the one game he got shelled he's got 3.18ERA 1.02whip (including tonights game)

I was hoping to see something on the waiver wire articles this week regarding him, but not one word said...... he didn't even get a line in tonights Recaps.

anyone got a take on him for all of us people that have been holding the Kevin Browns and Padillas of the world as our 5th starters? :)
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 am

i dont know much either but ive been keeping an eye on his stat line and im liking what im seeing. hes pretty young(26 ?) if i remember correctly . he could bE nice but all mets pitchers not named pedro scare me a little. id like to hear from amazinz or any other met fans as to his potential.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gws226 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:35 am

as a met fan, he was touted as the 2003 version of Scott Kazmir, they brought him up august 2003 and he got shelled (everyone did on the mets)

Since then the mets have been real quiet about him and his future. I guess trying to distance themselves from that entire regime.

I watched him pitch against philly last weekend and he had them all on their heals. He doesn't have a dominant fastball, but he enough tools (and the smarts now) to keep batters guessing.

There has been ziltch about this guy on the board, I told myself I would take a chance on him if he tossed another solid outing, but even the local NY papers don't have anything to say about last nights game.

He got pulled in the 6th, 4-0 (I believe)
Double
Walk
groundout
Pulled (whats his face gave up a 3 run shot that closed his boxscore)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 am

He's been awful in the past, and when people starting bringing up his name and Jae Seo as possible additions to their fantasy I laughed. However, every time I watch him now he impresses me a little more. As a Met fan I like what I see, but he won't be on my team anytime soon.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gws226 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:47 am

Out of couristey, why not?

I've been holding the more established but particullary woeful Brown & Padilla on 1 of my teams hoping for a turn around. I've left Padilla on my DL but at some point one (probably both need to go)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Tue May 10, 2005 11:57 am

gws226 wrote:as a met fan, he was touted as the 2003 version of Scott Kazmir, they brought him up august 2003 and he got shelled (everyone did on the mets)

Since then the mets have been real quiet about him and his future. I guess trying to distance themselves from that entire regime.

I watched him pitch against philly last weekend and he had them all on their heals. He doesn't have a dominant fastball, but he enough tools (and the smarts now) to keep batters guessing.

There has been ziltch about this guy on the board, I told myself I would take a chance on him if he tossed another solid outing, but even the local NY papers don't have anything to say about last nights game.

He got pulled in the 6th, 4-0 (I believe)
Double
Walk
groundout
Pulled (whats his face gave up a 3 run shot that closed his boxscore)

I watched the game last night, and he got pulled, IMO, becuase he pitched through two long rain delays. The game was delayed for about an hour and half and he kept on going back out to pitch for the Mets. In general, I wouldn't read too much in to this game becuase of that.

Overall he pitched well. His best pitch is the change and he had some key strikeouts. I keep hearing talk about moving him into the bullpen, but it hasn't happened yet. Either way, I wouldn't add him at this point.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 10, 2005 12:03 pm

The main difference between Heilman now and then is that when Heilman came out of Notre Dame he threw out of a 3/4 arm slot. Someone in the Mets organization thought it was wise to alter his mechanics so that he threw overhand. In retrospect it's obvious that he had trouble keeping the ball down and was prone to the long ball.

Peterson (I assume) switched him back to 3/4s and he looked impressive in ST but I took it with a grain salt; it was ST. But since then he has looked sharped. His attitude has impressed me also. Last night he faced some adversity: he didn't have his best stuff and the long rain delays. I would expect Heilman to fold in this situation but the new Heilman beared down and got through it. I was impressed.

As far as fantasy goes, I don't know how much value Heilman is going to have. I think worse case scenario is that he has pitched well enough to stay up and that he will be used in the pen and as a spot-starter.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Tue May 10, 2005 1:08 pm

thanks amazinz ;-D (and others ;-) )

i was concerned/wondering what would happen once trachsel came back (if i indeed decided to pick him up) . may have to just keep an eye on him and see what develops.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby login » Tue May 10, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm a die hard Met fan and was never a firm believer in his ability. However, he does look like a different pitcher because of the adjustments with his mechanics. He is also showing more poise and confidence this year. At this rate, I believe he will take Zambrano's spot in the rotation very soon.
login
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby benjapage » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm

going back to may 20th:

10 hits and 1 BB through his last 9 innings. just a heads up for those in need of MR help. i might drop one of my marginal SP (westbrook, maybe) for him, just to help counter my whip and era inflation.

pretty impressive that he's given up not one earned run in a month.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers