Billy Beane is no genius - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Beane is no genius

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 am

reynolds80 wrote:
Bas wrote:Guess Harden pushed them so far they went deep in the playoffs. Oh wait thats right they didnt make the playoffs. Without Mulder and Hudson the A's miss the playoffs and it wont even be close. If im wrong plz remind me in September.

What, you mean the team with the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball won't make the playoffs? Who is in charge of that team - he needs to be fired.

Come on.

Haha, so true. Those ripping on Beane must be missing this critical point. In my opinion, both Beane and Terry Ryan do a fantastic job of doing so much with so little, a group that I'm slowly and optimistically adding our very own Doug Melvin to. There are so many misinterpretations of Moneyball out there that have caused undue scorn to head Beane's way. Bottom line, he's kept a team with a low payroll competitive and playoff worthy for years, like Ryan and the Twins. Additionally, he's done it in a tougher division than the Twins.

And I'd like to say, in my opinion, that Beane did well in these offseason trades. The Mulder trade was brilliant, getting Haren and Barton. Barton can flat out rake. The Hudson trade was not quite as good, but Meyer has a lot of upside. Heck, I think his only bad trade this offseason was sending us (Brewers) Nelson Cruz for Keith Ginter. Cruz is hitting real well (.987 OPS) in the pitching heavy Southern League, and Ginter is nothing special. But I'd say that's pretty minor.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri May 13, 2005 1:56 am

Bas wrote:Guess Harden pushed them so far they went deep in the playoffs. Oh wait thats right they didnt make the playoffs. Without Mulder and Hudson the A's miss the playoffs and it wont even be close. If im wrong plz remind me in September.

Only 4 teams can make the playoffs every year.

Last time I remembered, there were some pretty good teams in the AL.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:02 am

I listened to this awesome interview with Beane on the FAN over the winter. I think you really have to appreciate the work that goes into that team every year.... look at all the players they develop and I always feel for them that they have to let those guys go when their contracts come due.

He even got Art Howe out of their, and got paid to do it!

Has he made mistakes, Im sure he has, but that has to be one of the (if not THE) best bang for the buck teams in baseball.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Fri May 13, 2005 3:32 am

by this logic, braves didn't win the series last year --> schurholtz sucks....

yep.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jkpigskin » Fri May 13, 2005 6:10 am

i havent read wat every1 else has said, but if billy beane had a 100million dollar budget, he would win it all frequently.. just look at all the talent they had... plus they home grow players.. and their drafting technique has been the best out of everybody

an all A's team

C-jason kendall
1b-jason giambi
2b-
3b- eric chavez
ss- miguel tejada
of-johnny damon
of-jermaine dye
of

sp-tim hudson
sp-mark mulder
sp-barry zito
sp-rich harden
sp-ted lilly
rp- billy koch
rp-jason iserinhousen (sp??)
rp- keith foulke
rp- octavio dotel_

just think if they could have had the money they would have the best pitching staff and a solid hitting... plus u never no wat would have happend to giambi if he had stayed in oakland

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri May 13, 2005 6:42 am

Bas wrote:Maybe you guys dont understand what the word impact means in baseball. Of the 3 great Oak draft picks 1 is no longer in Oak, 1 is a SP that has never won a game and the other is a hitter who has more k's than hits and is on the DL. Way to go Beane you really showed the league with those 3 studs.

We understand exactly what it means. It's simply that you tried to apply an absurd standard to evaluate the 2002 draft, and applying a reasonable standard showed that your argument had no foundation. Now, you can be a stand-up guy and admit that your standard was stupid and that Oakland's 2002 draft looks pretty decent so far compared to a reasonable standard and how other players drafted that same year have done or you can continue to look foolish.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby reynolds80 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:14 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Bas wrote:Maybe you guys dont understand what the word impact means in baseball. Of the 3 great Oak draft picks 1 is no longer in Oak, 1 is a SP that has never won a game and the other is a hitter who has more k's than hits and is on the DL. Way to go Beane you really showed the league with those 3 studs.

We understand exactly what it means. It's simply that you tried to apply an absurd standard to evaluate the 2002 draft, and applying a reasonable standard showed that your argument had no foundation. Now, you can be a stand-up guy and admit that your standard was stupid and that Oakland's 2002 draft looks pretty decent so far compared to a reasonable standard and how other players drafted that same year have done or you can continue to look foolish.

GoToWarMissAgnes, you are correct. And not only that, but some say that Beane's very best work was the '04 draft, not '02.

Huston Street should be a dominant righthander in the bullpen for years. Landon Powell, the 1st A's pick (catcher from S.Carolina), spent his college career making SEC pitching look like high school. Putnam and Probnett look like promising young outfielders. Kurt Suzuki, the catcher from CS Fullerton, can flat out hit. And the list goes on...

By all accounts the '04 draft (6 picks in the 1st 2 rounds) has a chance to be very special for Oakland.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Fri May 13, 2005 12:23 pm

jkpigskin wrote:i havent read wat every1 else has said, but if billy beane had a 100million dollar budget, he would win it all frequently.. just look at all the talent they had... plus they home grow players.. and their drafting technique has been the best out of everybody

The same could be said for basically every small market team, which is why fans in those cities are constantly crying foul when it comes to the revenue setup.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby nuggets » Fri May 13, 2005 5:55 pm

George_Foreman wrote:how about i just quote it for you:

Oakland lived off their second half comebacks for years now. Well guess what Hudson and Mulder arent there to lead the charge anymore.

if you wern't refering to their "second half combacks", what "charge" were you referring to that mulder and hudson were there to lead?

Chavez is the second half stud in Oaktown, the rest just follow.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 13, 2005 6:25 pm

jkpigskin wrote:i havent read wat every1 else has said, but if billy beane had a 100million dollar budget, he would win it all frequently.. just look at all the talent they had... plus they home grow players.. and their drafting technique has been the best out of everybody

an all A's team

C-jason kendall
1b-jason giambi
2b-
3b- eric chavez
ss- miguel tejada
of-johnny damon
of-jermaine dye
of

sp-tim hudson
sp-mark mulder
sp-barry zito
sp-rich harden
sp-ted lilly
rp- billy koch
rp-jason iserinhousen (sp??)
rp- keith foulke
rp- octavio dotel_

just think if they could have had the money they would have the best pitching staff and a solid hitting... plus u never no wat would have happend to giambi if he had stayed in oakland

Players who have worn an Astros jersey,

C - Ausmas/Bako
1B - Bagwell
2B - Kent/Biggio
3B - Ensberg/Nevin
SS - Everett/Lugo
OF - Berkman
OF - Abreu
OF - Beltran
OF - Luis Gonzalez
OF - Alou

SP - RJ