Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 09, 2005 2:49 pm

Rirruto wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:In fantasy: Tejada > Chavez
In real life: Chavez > Tejada

You are out of your friggin mind.

I concur.

I also agree. Sick numbers aside, Tejada is a leader and is the heart and soul of the Orioles who happen to be leading the AL East right now.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Mon May 09, 2005 2:49 pm

OREO fan wrote:

tejada has been the MVP once already - he led the league in RBI last year and his on his way to being among the leaders this year - he is at least in the top 5 fielding shortstops (a much tougher position to fill with a quality player than 3rd) - is this entire statement based on OBP? i mean come on - giambi has about a .400 OBP right now - is he really helping the Yanks?

Just for the sake of argument:

1) He shouldn't have won the MVP. Not at all.

2) He's definitely not a top five defensive shortstop. He's mediocre defensively.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dans » Mon May 09, 2005 2:58 pm

Next year we should conduct an experiment - we'll have a 12 team auction and assign people randomly a budget. Some will have $260, some $350, some $65 - we'll make it proportional to the major leagues. i'd be interested to see how the $65 team does over the course of the season.

Billy Beane made the playoffs with that equivalent.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Conner » Mon May 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Dans wrote:Next year we should conduct an experiment - we'll have a 12 team auction and assign people randomly a budget. Some will have $260, some $350, some $65 - we'll make it proportional to the major leagues. i'd be interested to see how the $65 team does over the course of the season.

Billy Beane made the playoffs with that equivalent.

That'd be an absolutely terrible experiment, and it would prove nothing at all.

Do the managers of the teams who are spending less get to keep all the rest of the money that they decide not to spend?
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bombs » Mon May 09, 2005 3:02 pm

RugbyD wrote:keep in mind, they are not trying to win anything this year, and only maybe next year.

Mission accomplished.
bombs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OREO fan » Mon May 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Conner wrote:
OREO fan wrote:

tejada has been the MVP once already - he led the league in RBI last year and his on his way to being among the leaders this year - he is at least in the top 5 fielding shortstops (a much tougher position to fill with a quality player than 3rd) - is this entire statement based on OBP? i mean come on - giambi has about a .400 OBP right now - is he really helping the Yanks?

2) He's definitely not a top five defensive shortstop. He's mediocre defensively.

how are you judging his defensive capabilities? he has great range and while he does boot the occasional ball - i would say he is much better than mediocre for his position

i am a homer so i am definitely biased here - but just out of curiosity name 5 better
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dans » Mon May 09, 2005 3:05 pm

Billy Beane is not the owner - Do you think he gets to keep the remaining money?? This thread is about him, not the Oakland management.
What the experiment would prove is that as a GM it's near impossible to compete with teams with bigger budgets and that it's absurd to make statements about him being a bad GM.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dans » Mon May 09, 2005 3:07 pm

OREO fan wrote:
Conner wrote:
OREO fan wrote:

i am a homer so i am definitely biased here - but just out of curiosity name 5 better

Rey Ordonez!
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 09, 2005 3:07 pm

OREO fan wrote:
Conner wrote:
OREO fan wrote:

how are you judging his defensive capabilities? he has great range and while he does boot the occasional ball - i would say he is much better than mediocre for his position

His fielding % is slightly below average, his range factor is slightly above average. He is average defensively.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 pm

Let's take the defense argument out of this, because neither side is going to prove that Chavez or Tejada is a better defensive player..
Both players actually look fairly equal when checking out both their statistics. The only category that Tejada has dominated in is RBI's when he acquired 150 last year and 131 in 2002. Both have fairly equal SLG % and Chavez has a high OBP in 2 of the last 3 years.

I think it just looks worse now because Tejada is destroying the ball and Chavez looks useless.

Anyway, Beane isn't looking to great right now and yes you can attack the guy for keeping Zito and trading away Mulder+Hudson. Was Mulder at the height of his value at the end of last year? No. While Zito can most definitly turn it around now, he's not doing anything special. The important question to ask is did Billy Beane put his club in the best possibly position to win this year? I think certainly the answer is no, yes it's early, but I don't think this club can contend. Also, did Beane put his club in the best possible position to win next year? Who knows right now..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers