Anybody still want to sell high on Dontrelle Willis...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anybody still want to sell high on Dontrelle Willis...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anybody still want to sell high on Dontrelle Willis...?

Postby kcs261 » Mon May 09, 2005 12:17 pm

Just checking to see if there are still people expecting a collapse. Conversely, anybody deal Willis for second-rate junk and totally regret it now? Personally, I don't see how anybody can expect this kid to collapse. Sure, his ERA is bound to fall into the 2-range. But, man, is this kid pitching lights out baseball... ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby echrisl » Mon May 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Someone accidentally dropped him in my main keeper league ... I felt sorry for the poor guy. But more sorry for myself, because I had the lowest waiver priority. :,-(
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 pm

I got him in the VKC auction....best $3 I ever spent.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 09, 2005 12:29 pm

I did. I have had Willis every year since his rookie year & he will never see another 6 game streak like he just had this whole year. He will be solid, no doubt but not spectacular.

I got Vlad in the deal ;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 09, 2005 12:32 pm

Yeah, I disagree with those predicting a return to mediocrity for Willis. He was unbelievable in 2003 and suffered the sophomore slump in 2004... and he wasn't the only Marlin that sucked in 2004. I think this will be a heck of a year for Willis, he's gone through both good and bad and survived them both. He's much more confident than I've seen him before as well. A few starts ago he apologized to his team for not pitching a complete game shut out. Now that's some confidence.

I dropped David Wells for him early in the season and I'm going to ride him the whole way.

Of course he can't keep this up all season long, but he's going to win a lot of games and K a lot of people while keeping his ERA at a good level. And if any player's got a shot at 30 wins this season it's him ;-) :-b

Has that ever happened before? It couldn't have.. :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 09, 2005 12:44 pm

i still stand by my claims of a Nomo Effect on this kid unless he breaks the 95mph barrier consistently. Has he?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 09, 2005 12:51 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Yeah, I disagree with those predicting a return to mediocrity for Willis. He was unbelievable in 2003 and suffered the sophomore slump in 2004... and he wasn't the only Marlin that sucked in 2004. I think this will be a heck of a year for Willis, he's gone through both good and bad and survived them both. He's much more confident than I've seen him before as well. A few starts ago he apologized to his team for not pitching a complete game shut out. Now that's some confidence.

I dropped David Wells for him early in the season and I'm going to ride him the whole way.

Of course he can't keep this up all season long, but he's going to win a lot of games and K a lot of people while keeping his ERA at a good level. And if any player's got a shot at 30 wins this season it's him ;-) :-b

Has that ever happened before? It couldn't have.. :-?

I will never play fantasy baseball again if D-Train gets 30 W's. No way, no how.

30 W"s has been surpassed a bunch in the history of MLB, especially pre 1900.

Go look up John Clarkson & Silver King. Those guys threw 901 & ~703 IPs in one season....while having sub 2 ERAs
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:32 pm

At this rate, I don't see any reason why Willis won't win 20 games, with an ERA in the 2's or the 3's (at the very worst). Of course, he can't keep his ERA below 1. But there will be no collapse. Last year, was simply a sophmore slump.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 09, 2005 1:39 pm

i don't expect a collapse, but anyone who thinks his ERA will be under two at the end of the year is dreaming. heck, i think under 3 is a stretch, which means i think his numbers will take quite a hit in the coming months. if you can get a real top-teir pitcher for him (a la burnett, beckett, prior, heck i'd even take vazquez for him 8-o ) you should do it, but by no means throw him by the wayside. i could certainly see him posting 12 wins the rest of the way, which would put him at 18 on the season. i'm just saying, you've already seen his best month, so don't expect a santana-like year.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RJCarrot » Mon May 09, 2005 1:49 pm

I wanted to pick him up, but his owner actually knew he was going to stay warm...

Damn people for thinking like me ><
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers