Iguchi projections - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Iguchi projections

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Iguchi projections

Postby Eastern Lightning » Mon May 09, 2005 8:45 am

What are some reasonable expectations for him this year?
Eastern Lightning
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rckaflla88 » Mon May 09, 2005 8:52 am

it all depends if the sox keep up their recent rediscovered offense but i think he's good for 300 90r 25 2b 15 hr 75 ribs maybe 20-30 stls....its always tough to gauge with international players and their transitions...as u know it takes a while to get used to mlb pitching...as hideki has gone through..but check out http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/en/p ... ?id=iguchi
rckaflla88
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Eastern Lightning » Mon May 09, 2005 9:23 am

Great link man, thanks. Did you notice how he cruised along at like .260 for 5 or 6 year before suddenly jumping up to .340 two years ago. That seems kind of wierd.
Eastern Lightning
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rckaflla88 » Mon May 09, 2005 9:30 am

his walks shot up too....attribute his inconsistent production to early injury and inconsistent playing time....but his numbers show his maturity and his potential to succeed in the mlb...i believe he will get better as he continues to adapt....2b worth picking up...not like that kaz matsui....
rckaflla88
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Mon May 09, 2005 12:00 pm

Here's great link on this topic ...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... o-america/
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Mon May 09, 2005 12:23 pm

People always link to those same two sites every time this subject gets brought up. I personally don't see how a sample size so small tells us anything. The small sample of numbers are statistically insignificant.

The Facts:

Iguchi is learning his role as a the #2 hitter in the White sox lineup. He knows that he is not expected to hit HRs and rake in runs every night. IMO he fells less pressure here than he did in Japan becassue there he was expected to be super star. Here he just needs to hit for average and get on base and steal some bags. I don't think his HR total will be like it was in Japan. He is settling into his groove of being a percentage hitter in this league by having a keen eye at the plate. How good of a fantasy player he will be this year depends solely on how many bags he steals. If he steals 30- 35 bags he is gold. If he steals 12-15 bags he is a borderline 12 team league player. Simple as that.
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:20 pm

The drastic increase in average in the Japanese league two years ago was due to a change in his batting stance. After the change he became a dominant player in Japan.

Before the season I was projecting somehwere around .270, 80r, 20 hr, 70 rbi, 20 steals. That obviously was a little optimistic and probably his ceiling for production. Now, I realisticlly see him finishing with around a line of .300, 90r, 12-15hr, 70 rbi, 15sb. The homers and steals are a little down, but his average is a very pleasant surprise and he has displayed to be the most fundamentally sound hitter on the team. He has shown a unique ability to adjust how pitchers have attacked him over the course of the year. In spring training and April he concentrated on taking the ball to the opposite field to assure himself of at least being able to reach base. Now after feeling more comfortable, Tadahito has started to turn on pitches and has displayed some power and rbi potential. Iguchi has a great ability to cover the plate and has been nearly flawless in hitting behind the runner and giving himself up to advance the runner. His defense has been tremendous as well, but who cares about defense in fantasy.

When all is said and done, my projection places him as a top 5 secondbasemen. That's hard to imagine coming into this year, but after watching him continually adjust to American pitchers I don't see how he can't keep up his current production. Top 5 2b potentially on the waiver wire, who knew?
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Mon May 09, 2005 1:30 pm

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:People always link to those same two sites every time this subject gets brought up. I personally don't see how a sample size so small tells us anything. The small sample of numbers are statistically insignificant.

The Facts:

Iguchi is learning his role as a the #2 hitter in the White sox lineup. He knows that he is not expected to hit HRs and rake in runs every night. IMO he fells less pressure here than he did in Japan becassue there he was expected to be super star. Here he just needs to hit for average and get on base and steal some bags. I don't think his HR total will be like it was in Japan. He is settling into his groove of being a percentage hitter in this league by having a keen eye at the plate. How good of a fantasy player he will be this year depends solely on how many bags he steals. If he steals 30- 35 bags he is gold. If he steals 12-15 bags he is a borderline 12 team league player. Simple as that.

:~(
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 09, 2005 1:33 pm

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:People always link to those same two sites every time this subject gets brought up. I personally don't see how a sample size so small tells us anything. The small sample of numbers are statistically insignificant.

The Facts:

loretta managed to have a pretty good year last year without stealing a lot of bags. i think iguchi can have a year of that type (though not necessarily as successful). he can certainly hit .300, and if he throws on 15-20 homers and 15-20 steals, he'd certainly be better than a "boarderline" 12 team mixed league 2nd baseman.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 09, 2005 1:51 pm

He was on the WW in our 10 team league so I picked him up to fill in for Vidro for the next couple weeks..I can say that I am happy!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers