Berkman @ 1B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Berkman @ 1B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Berkman @ 1B

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 09, 2005 2:30 am

While the OF is crowded in Houston and Bagwell is nursing his shoulder Berkman has had 2 starts at 1B since being activated. I'm thinking about trading for him with the hope that he'll gain 1B eligibility under my friend's nose. According to yahoo's rules he'll need 5 starts OR 10 appearances.

My question is, does anyone know how serious is Bagwell's shoulder is?

More specifically, do people think Berman can pick-up three more starts at 1B by the end of May (why or why not?)
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 09, 2005 2:44 am

Long shot, but possible. Berkman is a fine OF, but I would not be trading for him on the 1b elig issue.

Also, supposedly Garneer said Bagwell will play Monday for what that is worth.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 am

May 8 Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell missed his fourth straight game on Saturday and likely will not play on Sunday. He is experiencing soreness in his arthritic right shoulder. "He's making some improvements but he doesn't want to try to play right now and go back," manager Phil Garner told MLB.com on Saturday. "He actually feels quite a bit better today."
Views: Bagwell was available to pinch-hit on Saturday, and he hopes to start on Monday. The best we can say is that he's day-to-day.

Arthritis :-o Sounds like a nagging injury to me.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby EK711 » Mon May 09, 2005 3:18 am

Bagwell and his shoulder has been something that has been progressively getting worse for the last couple of years. Supposebly he keeps playing through the pain, but how long can he do it for? He'll probably make it through a couple more seasons, but not without having more instances where he has to miss some games when the pain is too much. Watching him throw makes my shoulder hurt.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 09, 2005 3:30 am

RynMan, EK711...is it your belief that Berk will get a few more nods at 1B this month? Is there anyreason they might put Lamb or Lane at 1B and try to get Berk back in the OF?
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EK711 » Mon May 09, 2005 3:48 am

All I can really do is speculate on the condition of Bagwell's shoulder like I already kinda did. But, if Bagwell doesn't play more soon though, it would seem to me that the Astros would put Berkman at 1B before Lamb or Lane. I mean they already put him there for the last two games right? Really it's going to be a wait and see thing from what word comes out of Houston tomorrow, and if Bagwell really does play. Unless that somebody in the area knows more.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby bselig » Mon May 09, 2005 3:49 am

This is a good call by the original poster. I don't really think it's a "long shot," but that does depend on how many games he needs there to be eligible. If it's 10, that certainly sounds reasonable. Bagwell is an arthritic cripple. I have no idea how many games a player needs to play at a position in order to qualify there in Yahoo though - anyone?
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dmville » Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 am

Even if Bagwell starts, he often comes out in late inning defensive situations since he can't throw. In that case, Berkman may keep moving over there while they put Lamb, who will be their primary power PH, in OF. So he may get that eligibility by appearances if not starts I'd bet.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 09, 2005 1:29 pm

bselig wrote:I have no idea how many games a player needs to play at a position in order to qualify there in Yahoo though - anyone?

Please see my original post.

PS. I glad you see the potential goldmine if Berkman has 1B eligibility, especially if you can get him for his general OF worth.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bselig » Mon May 09, 2005 1:47 pm

Wow, only 5 starts. Could get eligibility there within the week.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers