Sub-.200 Eric Chavez Speaks ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sub-.200 Eric Chavez Speaks ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:17 am

I traded Jose Guillen for Chavez and I keep watching Guillen do well, while Chavez hasnt done a thing. He will ride the pine till he heats up, but I won't drop him
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Juhlz » Mon May 09, 2005 1:28 am

why would you drop someone as talented as Chavez after one bad month?. I just picked him up in one league - amazing.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 09, 2005 2:59 am

Does anybody remember Jeter last year? What about Teixeira? What about Johan? Anybody? Huhlo?
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon May 09, 2005 3:55 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Chavez is producing NOTHING. And the A' s lineup has to be one of the saddest I have seen in years with only the Tigers of a couple of years ago maybe being worse. Which does not bode well for Chavez seeing anything to hit.

Exactly why I didn't rank Chavez as high as most people. No one to drive in, and no one to drive him in, plus the zero lineup protection.

I didn't think he would be this bad though. :-o He won't stink this bad all year, but it should be interesting to see how his final numbers (runs, rbi) look. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Conner » Mon May 09, 2005 5:27 am

In case anyone is looking for some encouragement...

His batting average on balls put in play is a terrible .238. The league average is usually about .300. This really isn't something that batters can control too much, so he's gone up against some bad luck, and some good defense.

15% of his balls in play have been line drives, which isn't that bad...although the league average is up around 17%.

He's obviously struggling...but the stats say it hasn't been quite as bad as the results indicate. He'll "bounce back" once that "luck" corrects itself back to the norm.

In case you're wondering...som of the other notables who've had some "bad luck" on balls in play:

Teixeira (.258), D. Ortiz (.259), Renteria (.258), Rowand (.259), V. Martinez (.205), H. Matsui (.261), Beltre (.250), Furcal (.255), A Ramirez (.250), P. Wilson (.245), Lowell (.203), Carlos Lee (.256), Rollins (.260), B. Giles (.210), Rolen (.260)

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats2005/nlbat/
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 09, 2005 6:49 am

Madison wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Chavez is producing NOTHING. And the A' s lineup has to be one of the saddest I have seen in years with only the Tigers of a couple of years ago maybe being worse. Which does not bode well for Chavez seeing anything to hit.

Exactly why I didn't rank Chavez as high as most people. No one to drive in, and no one to drive him in, plus the zero lineup protection.

I didn't think he would be this bad though. :-o He won't stink this bad all year, but it should be interesting to see how his final numbers (runs, rbi) look. :-?

Careful Madison, your on a one way path to an As fan talking to about how great their OPS is and that makes them a good offense. Oh wait, they are near the bottom? How about their win shares? :-D (I kid, so don't try and start a fight with me)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 09, 2005 10:29 am

well, they could just throw out the "at least we've got a better record than the cubs" arguement. :-° ;-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:36 am

George_Foreman wrote:well, they could just throw out the "at least we've got a better record than the cubs" arguement. :-° ;-)

And a better training staff. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Mon May 09, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm a Cards fan who has been living in the bay area for the last few years so I get to see alot of A's games. IMO there offense is not as bad as people say it is. If Chavez would start hitting the ball it would do wonders for this team. It's like thsi team can't get people on base. It's once their on base the 3, 4, 5 hitters couldn't bring them home if their life depended on it. Yesterday they left the bases load twice, and one time was with no outs. That is pathetic. but seriously when your RBI STUD is batting .190 how good of an offense can you have. When Chavez starts hitting, you will see a completely different team.
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 9er Fan » Mon May 09, 2005 12:29 pm

Seriously. How many years in a row does Chavez have to be a "budding star" and fall short of expectations before people stop over-rating him? Obviously, the A's made a huge mistake in keeping him over Tejada.

Can you really be a "budding star" for 8 years?
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers