100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pink wristbands

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Sun May 08, 2005 10:19 pm

slomo007 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:i've never understood the whole "awareness" thing. i can't imagine that someone asked about a player's wristband and someone said "its for breast cancer awareness" and the other person replied "oh, what's that? is it bad?"

It's more to show that MLB supports/encourages those who have, or had, the disease.

that's my point. who doesn't encourage/support them, or any other person with a particular cancer, AIDS, etc.?

lol, I think you're taking it too literally. It's just a sign of appreciation...I don't think it was meant to be analyzed with so much depth. :-b

yeah, i tend to overanalyze things :*)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon May 09, 2005 2:16 am

RugbyD wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:i've never understood the whole "awareness" thing. i can't imagine that someone asked about a player's wristband and someone said "its for breast cancer awareness" and the other person replied "oh, what's that? is it bad?"

It's more to show that MLB supports/encourages those who have, or had, the disease.

that's my point. who doesn't encourage/support them, or any other person with a particular cancer, AIDS, etc.?

lol, I think you're taking it too literally. It's just a sign of appreciation...I don't think it was meant to be analyzed with so much depth. :-b

It seems pretty silly to me... If people want to donate money to help research a cure for breast-cancer/aids/insert disease here they should just do it !! The whole wristband thing is just taking over where all the ribbons left off... Personally though I think they should put out a black wristband to support lung-cancer patients or just random ones for like leprosy/hoof-in-mouth disease etc etc
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dmville » Mon May 09, 2005 10:39 am

I believe the MLB did some kind of donation to the Susan G Coleman Breast Cancer fund this weekend. Ah yes, here is the link

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050429&content_id=1032384&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:41 am

GiantFan666 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

It seems pretty silly to me... If people want to donate money to help research a cure for breast-cancer/aids/insert disease here they should just do it !! The whole wristband thing is just taking over where all the ribbons left off... Personally though I think they should put out a black wristband to support lung-cancer patients or just random ones for like leprosy/hoof-in-mouth disease etc etc

Because breast cancer affects FAR more people than leprosy. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Boyakasha » Mon May 09, 2005 1:27 pm

1 in 8 American women develop breast cancer during their lives. Add that it's one of the most treatable cancers with early detection, I don't think it's silly at all to try to raise awareness and get women to get regular checkups.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 09, 2005 1:30 pm

Dmville wrote:I believe the MLB did some kind of donation to the Susan G Coleman Breast Cancer fund this weekend. Ah yes, here is the link

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050429&content_id=1032384&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

see, now THIS is supporting breast cancer patients. i guess the pink things were just so people would ask "what are those pink things about??" and then ballplayers would say "MLB did this thing where we donated money to help breast cancer patients and you should too". i hate it when people just get ribbons that say they support things and don't really do anything else. i mean, common. all you're doing there is supporting the ribbon industry. >_<
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers