The Ballpark-Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Texas Rangers

The Ballpark-Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Ballpark-Question

Postby shpuck » Sun May 08, 2005 7:42 pm

I figured that some of the Rangers experts (aka, Madison) could answer a question for me that popped up into my cranium while watching Baseball Tonight this afternoon.

What is the story with the green pastures out beyond CF in The Ballpark at Arlington? I read on the web it's a "picnic area", but everytime I see video highlights, there is no one sitting there, and, since it's usually shown because of a HR, a bunch of fans are usually piling over themselves to get the ball. Is there some historical purpose for the grass, or was it just clever design? Seems that they could pack some more seats in there to increase revenue, but I figure there should be a good reason.

Thanks in advance.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 am

It serves as the "batter's eye". Just something to give the hitter a solid color background when hitting.

There's no historical purpose for it that I know of. Just the way it was designed. As to additional seating, Ameriquest Field (I sure hate that name :-P , The Ballpark In Arlington was so much better ;-D ) seats over 50,000 as it stands right now. That's a lot of tickets and revenue seems to be very good right now (plenty of ticket sales). Good tickets are almost always availiable for every game and it's not like the stadium's empty or anything. Tons of people at every game. :-)

Guess that's what frustrates me about them not spending money on a solid #1 pitcher. The revenue is there to do it, so why keep cutting payroll?

Anyway, hope that helps some. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shpuck » Mon May 09, 2005 11:42 am

Indeed it does Mad. Thanks. I knew I could count on you.

Batter's Eye, huh? It may have been cooler to put up a big green wall, and call it the Lil' Green Monster.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 10, 2005 2:08 am

The Lil' Green Monster? Lol. :-b

But then you wouldn't get to see the fans go nuts trying to get the ball. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oriolesbatboy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:01 am

the real question is when and where are we going to build a ballpark that doesn't give up 10 homers every time the BoSox come to town
"Big League" advice, minor league returns?
Talk to Chuck
oriolesbatboy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:14 am

oriolesbatboy wrote:the real question is when and where are we going to build a ballpark that doesn't give up 10 homers every time the BoSox come to town

Easy. Sign some good pitchers. :-D

Yes, this coming from a Ranger fan. ;-) Have to admit I like the rotation this year better than some of the ones we've had in the past. Still not great, but better. ;-D

You're in Dallas? Fort Worth here. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Texas Rangers