Mild Sleeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mild Sleeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mild Sleeper

Postby Yoda » Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Kip Wells... I'm giong to watch one more start then snag him if he does well. I had him pegged as a sleeper coming in this season based on his improved numbers in the second half.

Last three starts he's been decent and I expect that trend to continue if he keeps his BB down.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Yea I like him as well. Another one that I have my eye on is Chris Young for texas... he seems like a solid pitcher that should get a lot of wins.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 08, 2005 10:09 pm

No way. Kip Wells has had one productive fantasy year and that was as a #3 or 4 fantasy starter, and since then has faded into the oblivion. He has no control which leads to a huge WHIP, his ERA isn't anything to celebrate, and he plays for Pittsburgh which means very few W's.

If you want a real sleeper, I'd grab Washington's Jon Rauch. Rauch has to be an intimidating pitcher on the mound (he's 6'11") and ever since Montreal moved him to the pen last year he's been lights out. Don't forget, he's only 25.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 pm

davidmarver wrote:No way. Kip Wells has had one productive fantasy year and that was as a #3 or 4 fantasy starter, and since then has faded into the oblivion. He has no control which leads to a huge WHIP, his ERA isn't anything to celebrate, and he plays for Pittsburgh which means very few W's.

If you want a real sleeper, I'd grab Washington's Jon Rauch. Rauch has to be an intimidating pitcher on the mound (he's 6'11") and ever since Montreal moved him to the pen last year he's been lights out. Don't forget, he's only 25.

You have got to be the most annoying person in the world. Is it your life long goal to contradict me? Get a life.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 09, 2005 5:04 am

Funny you bring him up. I was just thinking the same thing (and also drafted him in the last round of my draft but subsequently dropped him with his poor start). I believe some of his early woes can be linked to a shorten ST, but I'm not 100% b/c I can't remember that far back :*) .

Also, until I see just a little more consistantcy (no blisters like last yr) I will only consider Wells (and definately Young, throwing in Arlington) for spot starts. My only other concern with Wells is getting the almighty "W". I'm not forcasting too much help from the Pitts bats over the long term.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 09, 2005 8:53 am

klvrdude wrote:Funny you bring him up. I was just thinking the same thing (and also drafted him in the last round of my draft but subsequently dropped him with his poor start). I believe some of his early woes can be linked to a shorten ST, but I'm not 100% b/c I can't remember that far back :*) .

Also, until I see just a little more consistantcy (no blisters like last yr) I will only consider Wells (and definately Young, throwing in Arlington) for spot starts. My only other concern with Wells is getting the almighty "W". I'm not forcasting too much help from the Pitts bats over the long term.

If you are in a reasonably deep league or an NL only league, a couple more quality starts would make Wells a pretty good pitcher to roster for spot starts.

I think he tried to K everyone and also was hurting in 04. He is also only 28 with 4 years of big league experience. I thought he would break out last season but it didn't happen. If he can keep that BB rate down to 3/9 IP, he should put up solid numbers.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rckaflla88 » Mon May 09, 2005 8:55 am

it makes me sad...as a sox fan to here kip and rauch being mentioned..but no longer as a white sox.....i guess its for the better...we waited this long for garland to develop....
rckaflla88
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TonyCee » Mon May 09, 2005 10:02 am

davidmarver wrote:No way. Kip Wells has had one productive fantasy year and that was as a #3 or 4 fantasy starter, and since then has faded into the oblivion. He has no control which leads to a huge WHIP, his ERA isn't anything to celebrate, and he plays for Pittsburgh which means very few W's.

I couldn't agree more ;-D
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers