Nick Johnson playing great -- almost no buzz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson playing great -- almost no buzz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Johnson playing great -- almost no buzz

Postby kcs261 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:13 pm

This guy is on fire right now. To me, he looks like the Sean Casey of last year. So, if you are looking for a 1st baseman, I'd give him a shot. His OBP is incredible.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 pm

As a Yankee fan who appreciates minor league statistics....He's always been one of my favorite players.

He's going to be good. Already is good, actually....he'll be really good very soon.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Problem is first base is ridiculously deep. I drafted Nick in round 22 of a 16-team league but dropped him because he never cracked the starting lineup.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Conner » Sun May 08, 2005 7:30 pm

bleach168 wrote:Problem is first base is ridiculously deep. I drafted Nick in round 22 of a 16-team league but dropped him because he never cracked the starting lineup.

If your league doesn't count things like walks, OBP or doubles (which lots of leagues don't)...then he's definitely more valuable in real life than in fantasy.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun May 08, 2005 7:30 pm

I think you read my mind,,,,,I had been planning a 'list of best players most people dont realize' but hadnt gotten around to it yet. Nick Johnson has to be on that list.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kcs261 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 pm

You know, the Yankees right now have to be kicking themselves. They ship Johnson off for Vazquez -- and now they don't even have Vazquez. And, right now, Nick "The Stick" would look better at first base than Tino or Giambi -- and would be exactly the kind of young hitter who could add some youth and energy to that lineup.

It is true that he's more valuable in leagues that count walks. Still, if he hits .300 and adds 20 HRs and 80+ RBIs, he's not a bad guy to have even in leagues that don't count walks.

My league does count walks, however. So the guy is just huge the way he is playing.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mr Irrelevant » Sun May 08, 2005 7:50 pm

Anybody else think Nick Johnson sort of looks like Hitler?
Anyway, Johnson does get on base quite a bit but hes pretty weak for a 1B.
Mr Irrelevant
College Coach
College Coach

Postby with_pleasure » Sun May 08, 2005 7:52 pm

My league counts OBP. I just traded up for a slumpy Hideki and prayed that Nick would still be on the WW once my roster spot opened.

That said, Tino Martinez is definitely holding his own in the Bronx. His OBP has always been around .360 and he just hit his 6th homerun today. With as many people tearing apart the Yankees (and don't I love it), Tino's production is probably slipping under a lot of radars.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Sun May 08, 2005 8:16 pm

i still think he is worthwhile in adeeper leagues. we have 1b, CI and Util, and I suspect more than a few teams could use him. And I jsut traded for delgado, and while I was waiting for it to process, I noticed johnson. oh well. maybe he will keep
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby no2leads » Sun May 08, 2005 9:55 pm

i just dropped Giambi for him. i am Yanks fan and he does have the sweetest swing. not a ton of power, but he'll get on base a ton. i'm hoping PWilson gets moved to Washington also, will make decent lineup.
no2leads
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers