are the CUBS just stupid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

are the CUBS just stupid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 09, 2005 1:12 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~raj/writing ... Order.html

As often happens, people need to be careful about what the data show.

Batting order does matter. The best order would beat the worst order over the course of a season by about 6-9 games.

BUT, most teams don't use the worst order. They use what is labeled in this study as the "conventional" order. And the difference between the best order and the conventional order is what is very, very small, only about 4 runs over the course of the season.

So, the difference between the best and the worst order is big.
But, the difference between what most teams do and what would be best is very small.

Thanks for the clarification! ;-D
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon May 09, 2005 1:23 am

How about ... Jerry Hairston has had the leadoff spot for over three weeks now, and hasn't scored so much as ONE run in the last 10 days.

How about ... if you remove the one series versus Cincinattis stellar staff, Hairston has a whopping 5 runs scored on the year. He is leadoff right?

How about ... Jerry has been thrown out trying to steal 4 times, to his 3 sucsessful attempts.

How about ... Hairston is a career .260 hitter.

How about ... Hairston is a career .246 hitter form the leadoff spot?

How about ... Hairston is batting less than .250 after another 0-4 day today. coincedence?

How about ... Hairston has only 4 multi hit games this year, and ZERO three hit games.

How about ... Hairston has one whole RBI on the year.

Nope ..

I can't believe that Dusty Baker tells Jairy Hairston NOT to hit the ball. Shame on you Dusty for trying to change things up and get some offense going ..

YOU SCUM!

You are a fricking idiot.

Dusty should be fired!!!
the sooner the better, IMO.

Send the Cubs back to life long mediocrity.

That ... they can handle.

Success ... not so much ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Mon May 09, 2005 1:26 am

TB13 wrote:
RynMan wrote:This would worry me if I had Zambrano......he is also at the peak age for injury to occur according to research.

That has been my point of view for a while now. Zam is the next one. One can argue that Wood never recovered from all the pitches he threw two years ago.
that just so happens to be the same amount of pitches he threw 3 years ago, also. A year before Dusty got there. ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon May 09, 2005 3:25 am

Im a huge Cubs fan, and Dusty is a horrible manager. I was excited when he came to Chicago but I now cant wait for his exit. I think he is actually worse than tony larussa and i hate that guy with a passion. Too bad manager cant get traded, id trade baker for a bucket of KFC and a decent (but used) loveseat for the club house.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby reznorsboy » Mon May 09, 2005 9:02 am

The cubs simply are not getting the clutch hitting!!They depend on Derek Lee to keep bailing them out. How many times this year have we been excited with runners in scoring position late in a game only to have Aram or Burnitz pop or ground out? I don't think the pen is that bad other than not having a legitimate closer. If the Cubs traded for Urbina and made Latroy Set-up man I think that would solve alot. As far as Dusty Baker, maybe it is time for a change. But judging by the exit of Sosa I don't think Dusty is going anywhere or it would have happened already.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dmville » Mon May 09, 2005 10:12 am

I didn't see the game, but judging from the box and from what others told me, Zambrano was on cruise control yesterday and was very effective throughout still hitting his speeds late in the game.

IMO, there is a difference in a good high pitch count game and a poor one. I'd rather have my starter do what Zam did yesterday than throw 100 while struggling.

Plus, I don't believe there were very many long Cub innings forcing Zam to sit on the bench for 20 minutes at a time. That is a killer for pitchers.

And, no I am not a Dusty fan, but he does things far worse than mis-manage his pitchers. Why Dubois isn't playing every game is a mystery. In this last stretch of 1 run games, who would you rather have coming off the bench to PH late in the game, Rookie Dubois or Hollandsworth. In a pressure sit, Hollandsworth is a much better PH IMO, while Dubois is only gonna lose confidence strikin out in a clutch situation. Play the kid everyday and get him into the league already so that he is comfortable PH'ing later in the year.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:40 am

wrveres wrote:How about ... Jerry Hairston has had the leadoff spot for over three weeks now, and hasn't scored so much as ONE run in the last 10 days.

How about ... if you remove the one series versus Cincinattis stellar staff, Hairston has a whopping 5 runs scored on the year. He is leadoff right?

How about ... Jerry has been thrown out trying to steal 4 times, to his 3 sucsessful attempts.

How about ... Hairston is a career .260 hitter.

How about ... Hairston is a career .246 hitter form the leadoff spot?

How about ... Hairston is batting less than .250 after another 0-4 day today. coincedence?

How about ... Hairston has only 4 multi hit games this year, and ZERO three hit games.

How about ... Hairston has one whole RBI on the year.

Nope ..

I can't believe that Dusty Baker tells Jairy Hairston NOT to hit the ball. Shame on you Dusty for trying to change things up and get some offense going ..

YOU SCUM!

You are a fricking idiot.

Dusty should be fired!!!
the sooner the better, IMO.

Send the Cubs back to life long mediocrity.

That ... they can handle.

Success ... not so much ;-)

Three things here:

First of all, then why would Dusty support trading Sosa for a player like this?

Second of all, I think him being in/out of the lineup ever since ST has really affected his hitting.

Third of all, his replacement is Neifi Perez. :-P I don't really care what the stats have been saying, he is one terrible option.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby echrisl » Mon May 09, 2005 11:28 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Too bad manager cant get traded, id trade baker for a bucket of KFC and a decent (but used) loveseat for the club house.

Well, the Mariners pretty much traded Pinella for Randy Winn a couple years back ...
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dmville » Mon May 09, 2005 11:37 am

Wrveres said:

Third of all, his replacement is Neifi Perez. :-P I don't really care what the stats have been saying, he is one terrible option.

Hello Reason. Nice to see you again.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers