Any thoughts on Alex Rios? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any thoughts on Alex Rios?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any thoughts on Alex Rios?

Postby Jedimindtric » Sun May 08, 2005 11:46 am

He looks like a 4 category player with the possibility of some power showing up later in the season. Anyone have any thoughts on him?
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tal1286 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:53 am

I looked at him as a sleeper coming into this season. I don't know how great his numbers will be but from what I have read he does have a little potential for power, as you said. Basically, I think you answered your own question. He is doing well, as I expected, in 3 categories, and power could show up later. I did expect a little more speed from him but you can never be 100% sure with players who are just breaking into the bigs.

At this point he is doing 3 cats well so ... If it is a keeper league, I would try to stash him in your lineup. In non-keepers, I think he warrants playing time if you are in a deep league or really need outfielders.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun May 08, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't know why people keep saying that the power will show up later. He has never hit for power at any level.

When he is hitting the ball well he is a line drive hitter. If he develops an upper cut he could have some power but for now he will hit for a good average and a little power, maybe 10HR, but not this year.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby mikegp » Sun May 08, 2005 12:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know why people keep saying that the power will show up later. He has never hit for power at any level.

When he is hitting the ball well he is a line drive hitter. If he develops an upper cut he could have some power but for now he will hit for a good average and a little power, maybe 10HR, but not this year.

I completly agree. The only reason people think he'll develop power is because JP Ricciardi keeps saying that as he "fills out" he will get more power. Well...he seems to be staying skinny. He's put on weight, but he's still keeping his body type. Maybe one day he'll develop some power, but I doubt he will ever hit more than 20HR and I would be surprised if he ever reaches 15. As a Blue Jays fan just watching him play he is more effective when he hits the ball in the gaps and uses his legs to go for triples and doubles.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Sun May 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know why people keep saying that the power will show up later. He has never hit for power at any level.

not that broadcasters know anything but i heard the power will come from his swing.... if you watch him he swings mostly with his upper body - arms and hips. his legs stay almost stationary. compare that with power hiiters and you will see a big difference. the broadcasters gave a couple of examples of players that developed power, but their names escape me. The thing with Rios is that he has good plate discipline compared to other players (30 K's in 168AB's in AAA). Compare that to Ryan Howard or Wily Mo where the ratio is about 1/3. If he can add a leg kick without sacraficing contact ability he will hit for more power - I can buy that.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:51 pm

I think he showed power in the winter leagues 2 years ago, after his great minor year. He sure hasn't shown much power in the bigs yet. Maybe he should introduct himself to Giambi. :-o
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun May 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Well Mookie, people say the power should show up for a few reasons. Jayman listed some good reasons in his post, also power is always the last skill to be developed in young hitters. He has an excellent frame already and he just needs to alter his swing somewhat. Once he starts feeling more comfortable and pulling the ball more, you will start seeing more power. Also even though the kid added weight, he is still thin and needs to add more.

In the end I see him hitting 20 HR's and being a real good 5-cat fantasy player.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers