Dollar Values of Players... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dollar Values of Players...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dollar Values of Players...

Postby Dominican » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:26 pm

Where can I find this information? I want to distribute this data to my league. I'll be running the draft this year.

I'm trying to convince my fellow players that the Auction way is the way to go. Last year we had a lottery pick type which had ZERO Strategy. I've played Auction type for about 7 years now, both in baseball and football.

Where can I also find the pro's and con's to having it auction type?..

thanks,,

D
Dominican
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:35 pm

ive never done an auction, but im looking forward to this year.

Pros- everyone has a shot at every player. if you are an A-Rod fan, you can get him no matter what, ou just have to pay the price.

more strategy- you can choose what kind of team you want and go for it. you can build around pitching or punt saves. whatever. you can be an instigator rather than a reactor.

You can affect other peoples teams- if you see that your buddy is trying to dominate a certain category, or using a certain strat., you can make life harder for him by raising the prices of the players he needs.

Cons- harder to prepare for
takes longer
harder for rooks to learn, so less skilled players may not
have as much fun.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Great News...

Postby Dominican » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:43 pm

I'd love it if my league decided to do it Auction type...

I've been trying to convince them for 2 weeks...

D>.
Dominican
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:02 pm

One more minor con to auctions: they're extremely hard to run unless you actually have everybody together at the same place. Trying to hold an auction online or by phone can be a hassle...

If time/location isn't a problem though, they're a blast!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Yes...

Postby Dominican » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:13 pm

That's what the players are talking about... It will be nearly impossible to get everyone together at the same time..we'll try though...

Last year it was lottery type.. we met in an office after work and we still didn't get everyone there. We were calling up everytime the guy came up on his turn. THAT WAS A HASSLE. Also, If someone picks up a player YOU wanted in a regular draft, unless you already have someone in mind, will take as long as an auction draft. In an Auction draft, all you have to do is yell a NAME out, no guarantees... Strategy is a must..

I'm still a GO for Auction draft..
Dominican
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby tallmike » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:37 pm

if you go to http://www.stallvalue.com/ and pick in season values for 2002 you get their calculation of values based on whatever parameters you put in. Its worth a look although I find it over values guys in the middle in my opinion but what the heck its just my opinion.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Dollar Values

Postby Bengal/New » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:22 pm

Can Also find them at Rototimes under tools, Fantasy Headquarters
Bengal/New

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mkoss » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:39 pm

Arlo wrote:One more minor con to auctions: they're extremely hard to run unless you actually have everybody together at the same place. Trying to hold an auction online or by phone can be a hassle...

If time/location isn't a problem though, they're a blast!

Arlo, I respectfully disagree. In my league we have teams from coast to coast and hold our auctions online every year in a chat room. It's not difficult at all and I like it better because I can call my dad or someone and ask for advice without everyone hearing me.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:53 pm

Hmm... in my experience, there are often problems when somebody's server acts up and winds up not being able to make a key bid. I think the potential for glitches is there, but if you've been able to avoid that, more power too you. ;-D

Plus, the secret phone element is a definite plus! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:26 pm

we had a server crash when one guy was on with a web microphone during the auction. In dial up days. Ended up with a 5 hour long distance phone call. :-) :-)

Trash talking during the auction is fun with a group that's been at it a while. We have a core who do two auctions a year - hockey and baseball and we've got some running trash talk.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers