Haren....wil his slide continue? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren....wil his slide continue?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren....wil his slide continue?

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Sat May 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Three quality starts and now three horrible ones. Anyone have some scoop on him?
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat May 07, 2005 10:37 pm

I just dropped him to make room for Wade Miller...

He won't be this bad, but he walks too many for my liking, and apparently he has trouble keeping runners on base.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 07, 2005 11:06 pm

The others clubs have found a potential achilles heel ... his slow delivery combined with Kendall's slow release means that opposing squads can almost run at will. The two combined apparently have MLBs slowest time from stretch to delivery to second. Saw him pitch against LAA a few weeks ago. It was horror story. They were absolutely helpless top stop the running game. Bartolo Colon could have stolen a base.

Sure this is not 100% of the reason behind his problems of late -- I dumped him after the LAA debacle and haven't paid attention -- but the strong likelihood that every single or walk can be converted into a double is certainly likely to add a few points to the ol' ERA.
Last edited by d18Mike on Sun May 08, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Sat May 07, 2005 11:39 pm

I look for him to have speed bumps the entire year, but a stellar September.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat May 07, 2005 11:49 pm

I haven't been able to follow him as much as I would have liked, but he is only 24, and this is his first full season starting in the majors, so bumps in the road are inevitable and should be expected. I do agree with Mike though, his slow delivery is something that he definitely needs to work on, but I don't think that's as much his problem right now as much as his age. He's definitely got the tools, just needs to learn how to pitch. ;-D I wouldn't be counting on him heavily in any fantasy league for this year much other than an occasional spot start in good matchups.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:34 am

Like many have said, including myself, Haren along with Blanton and other young starters are just that, young starters. There will be patches when they are inconsistent and get hit hard. I'm willing to bet Haren will have 3-4 dominant starts at some point this season, but overall his numbers will be about average. Just realize that with any young guy the good will most certainly be mixed in the with bad.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RynMan » Sun May 08, 2005 5:52 am

RAmst23 wrote:Like many have said, including myself, Haren along with Blanton and other young starters are just that, young starters. There will be patches when they are inconsistent and get hit hard. I'm willing to bet Haren will have 3-4 dominant starts at some point this season, but overall his numbers will be about average. Just realize that with any young guy the good will most certainly be mixed in the with bad.

Yeah, ERA's can really be a little deceiving this early in the season. The 5.50 isnt looking too flattering right now. But he has pitched pretty well if you disregard the two starts that he got roughed up in against Texas and Anaheim (both above average offenses). This was the same as his ERA last year, break it down and he had a very good year disregarding the occasional implosion.

Using the DIPS spreadsheet (courtesy of Pedantic), it indicates his DIPS ERA is around 4.37. So not great, but is around average.

Of course im still optimistic, he's an A. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers