luis castillo > juan pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

luis castillo > juan pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

luis castillo > juan pierre

Postby wavetide007 » Sat May 07, 2005 8:42 pm

Castillo has a career .294BA & .369 OBP vs. Pierre's .310BA and .360OBP

Castillo has a 71% SB success rate vs Pierre's 72% success rate, career.

However, [b]Pierre's success rate is dropping noticably every year while Castillo's has actually been about the same and was at a career high 84% success rate last year. Pierre was at 65% last year.b]

Pierre is getting slower and is still not reading pitchers well, in fact pitchers & catchers are reading HIM, whereas Castillo is getting a little slower but reading pitchers better

I'm not going to say Castillo will end up with better #s than Pierre, at least not yet... but after the # of times Pierre got caught stealing last year.... it will be interesting to see how confident Mckeon is in castillo swiping bags vs. Pierre.. and thus far he is much more confident in Castillo who has 5SB and 1CS vs. Pierre who has 2SB vs 3CS.

Castillo is underrated and Pierre is overrated.
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sat May 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Mark this down as the only time I'll ever agree with you. In real life, it has always been my opinion that Castillo is a much more effective leadoff hitter than Pierre.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LBJackal » Sat May 07, 2005 11:45 pm

They're about even offensively. Pierre's got an edge in SLG, and Castillo has a slight edge in OBA. Also I wouldn't say Castillo is a better base stealer. Pierre attempts a lot more than Castillo does so naturally, if they were both just as good as one another, Castillo should have a higher % since he steals far less than Pierre. But Castillo has attempted 65 over the past 2 years and been successful 65% of the time. Pierre has attempted way more than twice as many as that (154) and been even more successful (71%). That's significantly better than Castillo.

As for defense, I can't say because I don't know. Based on offense only, I'd take Pierre. And in fantasy, I'd definately take Pierre, obviously.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bolkonsky » Sat May 07, 2005 11:58 pm

LBJackal wrote:Also I wouldn't say Castillo is a better base stealer. Pierre attempts a lot more than Castillo does so naturally, if they were both just as good as one another, Castillo should have a higher % since he steals far less than Pierre. But Castillo has attempted 65 over the past 2 years and been successful 65% of the time. Pierre has attempted way more than twice as many as that (154) and been even more successful (71%). That's significantly better than Castillo.

I am not trying to bust your chops, but...

If Pierre and Castillo were "both just as good as one another", their percentages would be the same, regardless of attempts.

Ok, maybe I'm busting your chops a little bit. !+)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Sun May 08, 2005 1:18 pm

bolkonsky wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Also I wouldn't say Castillo is a better base stealer. Pierre attempts a lot more than Castillo does so naturally, if they were both just as good as one another, Castillo should have a higher % since he steals far less than Pierre. But Castillo has attempted 65 over the past 2 years and been successful 65% of the time. Pierre has attempted way more than twice as many as that (154) and been even more successful (71%). That's significantly better than Castillo.

I am not trying to bust your chops, but...

If Pierre and Castillo were "both just as good as one another", their percentages would be the same, regardless of attempts.

Ok, maybe I'm busting your chops a little bit. !+)

If they were both the same in terms of SB skill, the one who attempted more should have a lower %. If you pick your spots and run 35 times, you would have a worse percentage than if you run 80 times.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby doyourealize1 » Sun May 08, 2005 1:31 pm

the most telling stat (so far this year, anyway):

Pierre 5BB 4SO .328OBP
Castillo 17BB 4SO .427OBP 8-o
doyourealize1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Sun May 08, 2005 1:35 pm

Castillo is far better in real life even though his SB numbers have been diminishing. He is great at second as well.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cordscords » Sun May 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Well Castillo stole 2 bases last night, and Piere has already stolen 2nd and 3rd today. I have castillo so I have no complaints. Let 'em run!
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby baseballnewb » Mon May 09, 2005 9:52 am

He is correct, the more often you steal the harder it is to keep a good success rate. When they know you are going all the time pitchers and catchers will use various methods to 'cheat' and get a better throw to second. If you only steal 20 bases a year you should be able to be much more successful.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Need SBs bad... very very bad. Pierre, Podsedik, Figgins, Hunter, Abreu, Ichiro... all not for trade.

Considering dropping Pettitte for Castillo :-?

Considering... considering... :-?

I must contemplate this further. :-? :-/
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers