Joe Mauer need help badly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer need help badly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joe Mauer need help badly

Postby quietstorm » Sun May 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
mrider wrote:Personally this guy pardon my language pisses me off. He plays awesome one game 4 for 5, 1 HR, 3 RBI, and 1 SB. Then the next day he sits whats up with this. If they dont want him to catch every day why dont they DH could someone answer my question.

I could be totally wrong here but his knee injury is preventing him from playing everyday. He had a busy day yesterday getting 4 hits and catching 9 innings.

I think the plan is to give him more rest in the beginning of the season to build him up so that they can give him about a day off per week which is normal for most catchers that only catch. He is a very significant investment/asset for the Twinkies and they are doing the right thing at the moment. They need him more at the end of the season for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, he is really playing well this season. He is entrenched at the 3 spot and with Morneau's return, he will have great numbers if he doesn't miss too much time. I bumped his projections up to .315, 22 HR, 86 RBI. Should be a top 3 catcher. ;-D

Those projections look good, but you're wrong on one point...

The Twins are not handling this situation properly. What they need to do is move Mauer away from C. The kid will be one of the best hitters in the majors for most of his career, regardless of his position. He's 6'4", 225 pounds. He doesn't have a catcher's body.

I just can't imagine things going well for Mauer... he'll be like a more talented version of Sandy Alomar, I think, if he stays at catcher. Sad, isn't it?
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ilsa » Sun May 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Mark Prior's agent, Scott Boras, told the Twins Prior wouldn't sign for less than $12 million. Small market teams can't afford that much for someone who isn't even on their team yet. And a $4 million signing bonus Prior ending up getting from the Cubs is more than the Twins' first round draft picks from the last two drafts signed for combined.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sun May 08, 2005 7:00 pm

moochman wrote:There are three factors affecting Mauer's PT:
His knee-which may be the least of the factors since he says the knee is fine.
Lefty pitching-Slightly more of a factor than his knee, but wouldn't bench him were it not for the third factor
The Twins are carrying three catchers-So when there is a Lefty or a day game after a night game Gardenhose finds it too easy to give Redmond and LeCroy PT.

Actually they just sent Corky Miller down to Rochester meaning Mauer will get majority of playing time.

The knee doesn't seem to bother him but the reason why they are giving him a day off here and there has to be in order to give him more rest.

Hit another dinger today and as long as he is healthy, he will put up excellent numbers overall.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CircleMeBert » Sun May 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Okay, first of all, Joe's knee is completely fine. I guarantee it. He sits now and again because he is a catcher, and they need time off. In the beginning of the year, the concern was with his knee, but its completely healthy now, i assure you. As far as taking Prior over Mauer, there was no assurance that he would even sign with us since the Twins don't have alot of extra cash to throw around. Plus, i wouldn't pass up a catcher who will be a .320+ career hitter.
CircleMeBert
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nola » Mon May 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Lets get some perspective here: Catchers don't play every day. Young, old, healthy, post-surgery, they don't play every day. Pudge has played 27 games. V-Mart 27. Mauer 26. Varitek 25.

He has played DH a few times. Unless you are running away with your league, you should have more pressing issues than this so-called lack of playing time.
nola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby looptid » Mon May 09, 2005 4:51 pm

That and he's hitting .356 with a .447 on-base and slugging .529 right now. I'll take 26 games of that from my catcher. He doesn't look as rediculously young as he is at the plate either. 15 walks to 12 strike-outs from a kid that is finally drinking age? Yikes.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 09, 2005 4:53 pm

looptid wrote:That and he's hitting .356 with a .447 on-base and slugging .529 right now. I'll take 26 games of that from my catcher. He doesn't look as rediculously young as he is at the plate either. 15 walks to 12 strike-outs from a kid that is finally drinking age? Yikes.

Yeah he is certainly living up to his bill finally. I just hope that his knee will hold up. As someone already mentioned, a troublesome knee this early in his career does not bode well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby looptid » Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 pm

Yeah, all of us here in Minnesota are holding our breath. I know it is foolish to make projections like this, but his knee is going to be the deciding factor in any chance he has of going to the Hall. If he can put up the offensive numbers he will behind the plate he's Johnny Bench. If he does it at another position, especially DH, he's Edgar Martinez.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ravenmad22 » Tue May 10, 2005 4:05 am

looptid wrote:Yeah, all of us here in Minnesota are holding our breath. I know it is foolish to make projections like this, but his knee is going to be the deciding factor in any chance he has of going to the Hall. If he can put up the offensive numbers he will behind the plate he's Johnny Bench. If he does it at another position, especially DH, he's Edgar Martinez.

Hall? As in Hall of fame? I think you should be more worried with him making it to the all star break.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 10, 2005 6:51 am

CircleMeBert wrote:Okay, first of all, Joe's knee is completely fine. I guarantee it. He sits now and again because he is a catcher, and they need time off. In the beginning of the year, the concern was with his knee, but its completely healthy now, i assure you. As far as taking Prior over Mauer, there was no assurance that he would even sign with us since the Twins don't have alot of extra cash to throw around. Plus, i wouldn't pass up a catcher who will be a .320+ career hitter.

Uh, most catchers can play 2 games in a row. Many times Mauer doesn't. Even if its 2 night games, he'll sit the next day. And he certainly won't go day after a night, like most catchers.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers