Kentucky Derby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Kentucky Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun May 08, 2005 3:22 am

It's kinda like watching cars driving in a circle.

500 times.

no thanks.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 08, 2005 5:08 am

quietstorm wrote:If anybody had any money on Giacomo... congrats. 50-1 odds. Not a bad return on your money, eh?

Wow, I honestly was going to put 5 bucks on the two horses with the longest odds. Decided I was better off keeping the ten dollars. Go figure.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Sun May 08, 2005 9:20 am

Amazinz wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:The superfecta was $1.7 million. 8-o I surprisingly don't know a whole lot about horse racing, but I can't believe that kind of payout comes along to often, even on the superfecta.

I have only been to a track a few times and a couple of times to OTB so I don't know a lot about it either but I'm pretty sure payoffs on a Superfecta are not normally that large. Also it's not like a throwing $2 down. The size of the bet depends on the race and if the payoff was that much I'd imagine the bet was pretty sizable.

no that was just for a $2 superfecta, which is just $2 if you bet the exact winning combo for $2. tris and supers will ususally not be bet straight up though. a partial wheel is common, i.e. when i won the tri a few years ago i did a $1 partial wheel of 5/13/16 over 5/13/16 over all, which means that 5,13, or 16 could come in first and second and any horse could come in thrid. there were 90 possible combinations, so my total bet was $90. it would have been $180 if it was a $2 partial wheel. If you add another "over all" to play the superfecta, the total bet for a $1 jumps to over $1000, depending on how many horses there are.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stevethumb » Sun May 08, 2005 12:10 pm

the isolation camera on affleet alex was awesome...it showed a heady and courageous ride from young jeremy rose..how could you not root for affleet alex with the pediatric cancer/alex's lemonade stand story :,-(
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Sun May 08, 2005 12:14 pm

the kentucky derby always used to bill itself as the most exciting 2 minutes in sports !! come to think of it the derby and my sex life have a lot in common..once a year..big build up...2 minutes..some tears at the end :-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby intense » Sun May 08, 2005 1:45 pm

I am a huge horse racing fan. I live about 5 minutes from Arlington Park so I was there about 3 times a week or so. I too bet on Afleet Alex, but I was out of town, so I had a buddy bet on him for me. I was sad to see him lose that, the was he was going down the stretch I was sure he had it, they cameras hadnt even focused on Giacamo who was coming from the outside. I was so happy then I got so sad in a matter of about 2 seconds.

Personally I think Afleet Alex was the best play at the odds of 9-2.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DominicanLou » Tue May 10, 2005 1:17 pm

Check this out. It is unbelievable. Could you imagine losing almost $900,000?

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/3603268
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue May 10, 2005 2:04 pm

DominicanLou wrote:Check this out. It is unbelievable. Could you imagine losing almost $900,000?

I heard that on the radio last night. 8-o Pretty crazy stuff. The cashier should get a pretty big cut if you ask me. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 10, 2005 2:25 pm

kingctb27 wrote:One of the things I want to do in my life is go to the Kentucky Derby. The atmosphere there is just so incredible. And yeah congrats on whoever had that 50-1 horse. That horse has nothing on Smarty Jones though. War Emblem wasn't bad a few years ago either.

In college, I worked summers on the TV camera crew at a racetrack, and the biggest race every year (the Haskell - know it?) would draw some big names. I got to see War Emblem and Point Given up close, and they were MONSTERS. War Emblem was probably the biggest horse I've ever seen.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Tue May 10, 2005 4:36 pm

DominicanLou wrote:Check this out. It is unbelievable. Could you imagine losing almost $900,000?

i once tore up a winning ticket into tiny bits and tossed it in the air cuz i misread the results. i was able to gather just enough bits to get a full serial number for my winning bet. it wasn't $900,000, but $6000 means plenty to me. ($4200 post-tax)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk