different type of owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

different type of owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

different type of owners

Postby jkpigskin » Sat May 07, 2005 3:29 pm

in my league with a bunch of my friends there are all whole array of owners.. some drop and add frequently looking for hot batters and releasing cold ones (1 dropped both oliver perez and bay).. others go for big name hitters (yankees) and others like me and this other guy r people who try to buy low and r very patient with our players..

so from ur past experiences wat type of manager suceeds the most..
-patient will wait for cold players and buy people low
- go for hot players and let go of cold 1's
- go strictly for big hitters

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 07, 2005 3:34 pm

I find that I can be all three, and have been all three, depending on the league. I try to do what everyone else is not.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Re: different type of owners

Postby jjigglers » Sat May 07, 2005 3:40 pm

During the draft I:

During the season, to fill pitching holes I:

But above all, I am:
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: different type of owners

Postby jkpigskin » Sat May 07, 2005 3:42 pm

jjigglers wrote:During the draft I:

During the season, to fill pitching holes I:

But above all, I am:

haha nice ;-D

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Punisher » Sat May 07, 2005 4:23 pm

WEll during my 5 years of experience I have witnessed all of those types of people winning their league, normally the guys that go for big hitters though dont do so good in roto though. The ones that let go off cold players and pick up hot players either seem to suck or win the whole thing. The ones that are patient with their players and buy low are always the ones that are up top near the front of the pack and on average probably do the best. I am more so a patient owner that waits for their players and buys low but lots of times in h2h in like public leagues ill go for all big hitting. I rarely ever ride the hot hand and just make add/drops lke crazy since that can really screw up your season and team sometimes
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sat May 07, 2005 6:35 pm

I've done pretty well in my leagues, never finished out of the money, and finishing first 4 out of 7 years. And at times I have also done all those things. I've traded players much too soon, made an incredible dumbass trade of Sosa even up for Bernie two years before Sosa hit 70 (keeper league), but then I also traded Hal Morris to get Helton before Helton's first full year. I'll generally keep cold players, but this year I could not stand having Vazquez on my team and traded him away for Radke, throwing in Taveras just because I could not stand having him on my team any longer. I'll regret losing Taveras, but I generally have a good eye for minor leaguers and should be able to replace him. Right now, I am sufferiing through the slumps of Finley, Godzilla, Chavez, Helton and Vmart. My offense is being carried by Tejada, Inge, Pods and what Everett has given me.

When you play in the same league with the same guys for a while, you have to start changing up your strategy some, or they learn it and it becomes less effective. I used to go after the stud closers as pitchers, targetting saves, ERA and WHIP and getting just 2nd teir starters who don't have bad ERA's or WHIP, but don't get a lot of wins or K's just enough to keep me middle of the pack in that area, and go for average, runs and rbis in hitters, with two big boppers and just enough sb's to stay out of the lower rungs. It generally worked out well, but a couple of other owners started doing close to the same thing, and there just are not that many stud closers

In short, to be successful over the long run, you have to be all of those types of owners at some time or another, oryou won't be winning.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jkpigskin » Sat May 07, 2005 8:00 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I've done pretty well in my leagues, never finished out of the money, and finishing first 4 out of 7 years. And at times I have also done all those things. I've traded players much too soon, made an incredible dumbass trade of Sosa even up for Bernie two years before Sosa hit 70 (keeper league), but then I also traded Hal Morris to get Helton before Helton's first full year. I'll generally keep cold players, but this year I could not stand having Vazquez on my team and traded him away for Radke, throwing in Taveras just because I could not stand having him on my team any longer. I'll regret losing Taveras, but I generally have a good eye for minor leaguers and should be able to replace him. Right now, I am sufferiing through the slumps of Finley, Godzilla, Chavez, Helton and Vmart. My offense is being carried by Tejada, Inge, Pods and what Everett has given me.

When you play in the same league with the same guys for a while, you have to start changing up your strategy some, or they learn it and it becomes less effective. I used to go after the stud closers as pitchers, targetting saves, ERA and WHIP and getting just 2nd teir starters who don't have bad ERA's or WHIP, but don't get a lot of wins or K's just enough to keep me middle of the pack in that area, and go for average, runs and rbis in hitters, with two big boppers and just enough sb's to stay out of the lower rungs. It generally worked out well, but a couple of other owners started doing close to the same thing, and there just are not that many stud closers

In short, to be successful over the long run, you have to be all of those types of owners at some time or another, oryou won't be winning.

great answer ;-D ... but i would never just stack up on hitters..

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby messenjah » Sat May 07, 2005 8:12 pm

For me, I try and keep veterans if they are cold, but if a guy starts off way hot, and then goes ice cold, I'll probably drop him, especially rookies. I normally like to keep one or two roving roster spots for sleepers. Rookies that get called up who are supposed to be studs, veterans who get dropped after getting cold, or guys who just start hammering the ball. I do this in case one of them truly is a stud in the making. Example, last year, I used one of those spots on Justin Morneau, and he was the reason I made it to the finals last year. Of course, if he had sucked, I would've just dropped him for another high upside guy with no reprecussion. Mostly though, I try and hold onto guys who are veterans if they go cold, cause they'll probably snap out of it.
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers