Vernon Wells batting 7th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells batting 7th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vernon Wells batting 7th

Postby Simulacrum » Sat May 07, 2005 6:03 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Vernon WILL be better than Moises Alou at the end of the season. Mark my words...

All right, B-Boy I shall trust you... If I don't see some improvement soon though, I'm going back to my original plan of finding Wells and beating the crap out of him. !+)

My master plan- dress up as a giant baseball. He won't ever even touch me.

Today was the first day I've actually got to see Vernon Wells at the plate. Although he didn't get a hit, he did seem to look pretty good at the plate.. looked at a few balls, fouled off a few good pitches... encouraging. Then he grounded out. Repeatedly.
Last edited by Simulacrum on Sat May 07, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Sat May 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Agreed...12th round for Wells is fine, and for a 12th round pick I don't think he's even a bust yet. The thing is though, I think there are plenty of tools out there who took him in the 5th-8th round range, perhaps not many, but still, those chumps are getting owned. 12th is probably around where Utley should've gone...maybe a little lower.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Sat May 07, 2005 6:55 pm

He's a good hitter, he will come around. Moreover, he is a historically horrible hitter in April.

Last yeat Abreu and Texiera were both hitting around .200 at this time of the year and I bet the people who dropped Tex or unloaded Abreu for peanuts felt pretty stupid that they helped some other guy win the league. Same could be said of Giles, he had an absolutely miserable start but hit around .300 the rest of the season.

Basically, there are handful of very good players every year who get off to miserable starts, and giving up on these guys after 40 games is a good way to lose your league. Unless you are in an 8 team league or something, what are you really going to find on the WW that his a better bet than Wells for the rest of the season?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 07, 2005 10:32 pm

And if I drop now I know that'll be the catalyst that sets him off.

please drop him for the sake of all other wells owners. cmon be a bro
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat May 07, 2005 10:43 pm

DGroundhog wrote:He's been battling strained ribs, I don't think it is getting any better with him playing everyday.

The strained ribs having nothing to do with it. He's getting unlucky with the balls that he puts into play. Plain and simple. There are statistics to back this up.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun May 08, 2005 12:53 am

I said at the begining of the season I thought he was going to be a big BUST. No Delgado only makes it worse for him. Why would anyone throw anything to him? There is no one that is really scary in that lineup. Chalk it up to the fact he's a slow starter?? Go ahead. But regardless of what month of the season it is, it's still not going to change the fact that he's got no protection in that lineup. It's going to continue if he doesn't change his plate discipline and wait for better pitches to hit.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun May 08, 2005 4:21 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I said at the begining of the season I thought he was going to be a big BUST. No Delgado only makes it worse for him. Why would anyone throw anything to him? There is no one that is really scary in that lineup. Chalk it up to the fact he's a slow starter?? Go ahead. But regardless of what month of the season it is, it's still not going to change the fact that he's got no protection in that lineup. It's going to continue if he doesn't change his plate discipline and wait for better pitches to hit.

His contact rate is exactly the same as it was with Delgado in the lineup. There's no reason to think that he won't rebound to his former self in a few weeks...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Justus » Sun May 08, 2005 12:02 pm

beltrans_boy:

Where can I find BIPA for hitters? I've been able to use pretty successfully to guage pitchers, but I'm not sure if there is a similar stat for hitters. Please clue me in.
Justus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers