Mike Gonzalez... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Gonzalez...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Gonzalez...

Postby Skippyoz » Sat May 07, 2005 12:23 pm

Hello,

I have Mike Gonzalez stashed on my bench. I have Mo, Foulke, and Baez as my three closers. I had picked up Mike in hopes that Mesa would stop being the closer, but he looks set in his ways. What other players out there should I consider to pick up... I'd like to pick up someone who could become a closer... for trading purposes...

Huston Street
Scot Shields
Ugueth Urbina
Al Reyes
Mike Adams
Chin-Hui Tsao
Brian Bruney
Kiko Calero
Mike MacDougal
Damaso Marte

They are all available. Maybe there is someone else I don't know about...
Skippyoz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Kavorka » Sat May 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Your best bet out of that bunch is Urbina and that is only if he gets traded.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Calero or Street could get the job if Dotel gets traded at the deadline (and I think there's about a 50/50 chance of that) and Urbina is probably about equally likely to get traded to a team who needs a closer at the trading deadline.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 pm

KolbSaves wrote:Calero or Street could get the job if Dotel gets traded at the deadline (and I think there's about a 50/50 chance of that) and Urbina is probably about equally likely to get traded to a team who needs a closer at the trading deadline.

Those two and Adams if Turnbow ever falls apart (a distinct possibility)
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sat May 07, 2005 1:01 pm

The Kavorka wrote:Your best bet out of that bunch is Urbina and that is only if he gets traded.

Urbina might be a nice one to stash even if he doesn't get traded. Percival looks like dung so far and at his age there is no guarantee that he will regain his form. What is really disturbing is his lack of command with all his pitches. So when Tram gets fired or Percy gets hurt (methinks he may be hiding something) Urbina could find himself the closer.

Even as it is I think that the days of Percival closing in back to back games is over. Of course, the times that the Tigers will win back to back close games are few.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat May 07, 2005 1:12 pm

I did the same thing as you (pick up Gonzo in anticipation of Mesa losing his job). I'm still holding onto Gonzo and probably would if I were in your position too. I continue to believe he's just too good not to be closing somewhere. I also think Mesa is a bomb waiting to go off. It's still early in the season, so I'm not gonna give up on Gonzo yet. In the meantime, he'll post some great Ks and ratios.

Urbina is probably the best bet of that bunch, but he's not a closer as of yet and probably won't be unless he's traded or something happens to Percival.

Street is the hot name at the moment. He's clearly the team's choice for closer of the future, but he's young and unproven. I'd be surprised if he's still available in your league unless it's very shallow.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Sat May 07, 2005 6:59 pm

Gonzalez has about the best chance of getting a closer's job of anyone on that list, save maybe Urbina. Acutally, the better Mesa pitches the more value he will have and the greater than chance is that he will get traded to a contender. He is very cheap and should appeal strongly to a team like SF, which may be looking for a bullpen upgrade but can't afford to bust the budget. Given how good Gonzalez is and how bad Torres has stunk, I am fairly confident that when Mesa gets moved in Jul or August, Gonzanlez will get the rock.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers