Philosophy question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Philosophy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Philosophy question

Postby jeff926 » Sat May 07, 2005 10:28 am

so, i'm drafting with my buddy earlier this year, and he tells me that last year he drafted 4 OF with his first 4 picks. i tell him he's crazy, but then he goes to say something that makes a lot of sense in some weird way. he drafts the absolute best player possible, not caring about position. if marcus giles is still on the board at 2nd and if he doesn't take him he'll probably get someone a lot lower on the list, but travis hafner is available... he will take hafner no question, even if he already has thome! is this crazy, or is this good stategy? take the best overall player that you think will give you the most points, or try and draft by position, reaching for a catcher so that you know you have the best one for example?
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sat May 07, 2005 10:45 am

Yes... to a certain point. You don't want to spend a high draft pick on a player you don't have room in your line-up for. You can never be guaranteed you'll get good trade value for him. In other words, don't draft 3 firstbasemen in your top 5 picks if you can only play 2 every week.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rlee » Sat May 07, 2005 10:47 am

I think that as a general philosophy, you take the best player available in the early rounds (maybe through round 7). After that, you have to start pluugging position holes and then start to reach a bit. If it winds up that you have 4 good OFs, you always have the option of trading after the draft.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby jeff926 » Sat May 07, 2005 10:54 am

well, my buddy took beltran, berkman, manny, and edmonds i think last year with his picks, and it worked for him. he used one of them in the util spot the whole year and kept the other 3, and his offense dominated... i've also heard the strategy of taking only pitchers in the first 6 picks (4 stud starters, 2 stud closers) and then drafting either the best pitcher or the best sb threat. in h2h, you should win the pitching categories all the time, and then if you win sb, you should win at least 6 to 4 every week, and then if you happen to win in runs or hr or rbi or ba, bonus! is this a good drafting strategy?
you heard it here...
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeff926 » Sat May 07, 2005 11:01 am

any opinions? the 2006 draft is coming up faster than you realize!!!!!
you heard it here...
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Sat May 07, 2005 11:25 am

jeff926 wrote:well, my buddy took beltran, berkman, manny, and edmonds i think last year with his picks, and it worked for him. he used one of them in the util spot the whole year and kept the other 3, and his offense dominated... i've also heard the strategy of taking only pitchers in the first 6 picks (4 stud starters, 2 stud closers) and then drafting either the best pitcher or the best sb threat. in h2h, you should win the pitching categories all the time, and then if you win sb, you should win at least 6 to 4 every week, and then if you happen to win in runs or hr or rbi or ba, bonus! is this a good drafting strategy?

I don't like it at all. Look how many pitchers have gone in the first 6 rounds that are currently not doing well or injured. Hitters are a lot more dependable than pitchers. You will not win all 5 pitching categories every week. If the other guy has a really good week or has more starts than you, he will definitely win some pitching categories. I've never seen an expert draft where this strategy was implemented. Must be a reason.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cooner » Sat May 07, 2005 12:59 pm

I don't think this is a good play. For instance, in one league that favors ratios (like K/9) and counts losses, one guy drafted 7 closers in his first 8 picks. That fell apart rather quickly when Isringhausen and Benitez went on the DL. He's doing remarkably welll thanks to some key WW pickups early, but I don't think that can last. Pitchers are just too risky.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Philosophy question

Postby bleach168 » Sat May 07, 2005 4:57 pm

jeff926 wrote:so, i'm drafting with my buddy earlier this year, and he tells me that last year he drafted 4 OF with his first 4 picks. i tell him he's crazy, but then he goes to say something that makes a lot of sense in some weird way. he drafts the absolute best player possible, not caring about position. if marcus giles is still on the board at 2nd and if he doesn't take him he'll probably get someone a lot lower on the list, but travis hafner is available... he will take hafner no question, even if he already has thome! is this crazy, or is this good stategy? take the best overall player that you think will give you the most points, or try and draft by position, reaching for a catcher so that you know you have the best one for example?

Terrible strategy. Not so much because you have to reach for the scarce positions later on, but more so for the fact that you can't draft another OF if a bargain presents itself.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 07, 2005 5:08 pm

For me best player available and positional value are not mutually exclusive. I'm of the opinion that you can't draft the best player available if you disregarded position because you have no idea.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bselig » Sat May 07, 2005 5:54 pm

First two rounds you take the best player available (can be if's at times, ie Tejada). After that you can still stick with the strategy, I suppose, but you need to start filling positions at some point - and that point is probably sooner rather than later. The only way you'll succeed with that strategy if you use it the entire draft is if you land pretty much every single late round sleeper. Of course, you don't want to pay through the teeth in the early-to-mid rounds for worthless overpriced players like Furcal or or Renteria; keeping a mental note of WHO the best guys available around at the time of each pick you make is always a good move, because sometimes one of those players is going to be a MUCH better pick that the mediocre/loser/deadbeat position player you are contemplating picking.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers