How can I teach my leaguemates to stop vetoing trades?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How can I teach my leaguemates to stop vetoing trades??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How can I teach my leaguemates to stop vetoing trades??

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:06 am

Every single trade offer accepted in my league with friends from my school has been vetoed. Maybe I should change that, every single trade offer accepted in my league that Im in in my league has been vetoed. These kids just want none of my trades to go through. Foe example, my most recent trade has just been vetoed, which was my roberts for his Beckett and O. Cabrera. It's a fine trade, but the other owners wanted beckett so they vetoed the trade. Sometimes they veto just because they can, even when the trade is fine, and I don't understand this. I wrote an essay to them about why they should stop vetoing trades, and I talked about collusion adn the works, and the majority of the replies were similar to this: "F*** you mark, your essay was so boring and it was untrue, and every trade involves collusion, and you should just shut the f*** up because you're a yankees fan and you don't know anything and you're an a**h***." I'm wondering what I should do. I talked to some of the guys in private yesterday, and they said that All of my tardes involved $$, even perfectly fair ones like the one I stated earlier, so therefore they are collusion so I can veto them. In the essay I wrote, I gave the example of collusiopn, which I said would be like a trade of A-Rod for Luis Matos and $5. They don't understand, and they don't veto other trades, and they're just trying to annoy me. What should I do??

My trades that have been vetoed:

Brian Roberts for Richie Se xson (vetoed twice)
Brian Roberts for Josh Beckett and Orlando Cabrera
Gary Sheffield and Mike Lowell for Jason Schmidt
Sammy Sosa for Brian Giles.

Note that those trades are all decent and fair, but this UNFAIR trade went through. It may not be collusion, but it went through:

Carl Pavano for Juan Pierre, Keith Foulke, and Trevor Hoffman. \\

That trade is total BS but it went through.

What should I do, should I drop out of the league because they don't listen to a thing I say??
mtryanks12
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Box » Sat May 07, 2005 9:16 am

I HATE that Yahoo started allowing league wide vetoes. Some idiots will hold personal grudges all season for dumb crap. My advice to you: get in a real league next year. It costs money but you don't have to put up with that BS. Commish-only vetoes are the only way to get anything done.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biller24 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:22 am

I wouldnt be in a league like this. First of all, letting owners have veto power on every trade is wrong, as personal opinions come in to play. Secondly, judging by the responses from your league mates to your essay, they are not your friends. Move on. Find another league with people who may not agree with you all the time, but who at least respect your opinions.
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:49 am

The same thing is happening in my league. No trades go through and my friends vote against every single one of my trades just because I won the league last year and because before the start of the season i traded kevin brown and armando benitez for halladay and burnett and now they all think im just trying to rip everyone off....
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jmon » Sat May 07, 2005 10:55 am

Could you imagine if major league trades were subject to a veto? Now that would be interesting. One possible solution on a Yahoo league is to allow only the commish to veto a trade. We did that in one of my league only to speed up the trade, the commish can process it immediately rather than wait.

Another solution is to setup a committee of three owners to review trades only disallowing them for collusion.
Jmon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

Yeah, I'm in a $50 league with my friends from school with 14 teams where it's commish only that passes/vetos trades. There have been a bunch of trades this year with only one veto, it wasn't that unfair but borderline veto. Almost anything goes through, so you really don't have to worry about that. The only thing I'm worried about is my team blowing chunks. :-P
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mazz » Sat May 07, 2005 1:01 pm

In my yahoo money league we have commish only veto. It really is the only way to get things done. My advice is for next year pick someone who is mature and not an idiot in the ways of fantasy baseball and make him the comissioner with veto power.
Mazz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat May 07, 2005 1:04 pm

Trade hostile leagues are nothing new, esp. if trade voting instead of Commish authority is in place. I would not waste my time arguing. Cliches and people vetoing for the sake of screwing over one another are also nothing new.

When you end up in a league like that it is best to just strop arguing with people, go about your business on the wire and be done with it. The more you argue the more they are going to have incentive to vote against you and reason has nothing at all to do with anything.

I find it best to work the wire harder, spend virtually no time trying to formulate deals because they will not get through anyway, and vote against EVERY deal that is made by others yourself so as to return the favor and hopefully even the playing field so that no one gets any deal through.

Do not post comments, criticize or otherwise even reply to people on any trade or trade offer by others. And ones made to you that you either have no intention of accepting or are ridiculous you do not reject either...you leave them out there unanswered... Really annoys some people.

Then next year you obviously play in another league.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Sat May 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Agree with the previous posters. Commish-only veto leagues offer accountability which forces the Commish to do the best job he/she can.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Return to Baseball Leftovers