Someone please explain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Someone please explain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Someone please explain

Postby Yoda » Sat May 07, 2005 9:02 am

why the Halos would pick Weaver, knowing what type of money it would take to sign him. Rotoworld:

Jered Weaver - S - Angels

Jered Weaver and the Angels are still trying to work out a deal before the May 30 deadline at which point he'll re-enter the draft which takes place on June 7.
The two sides are still relatively far apart, but at least they're talking again. A meeting between GM Bill Stoneman and Weaver's agent, Scott Boras took place last night. Weaver, the younger brother of the Dodgers' Jeff Weaver, is looking for $8 million and the Angels are looking at spending $4-5 miilion. May. 7 - 7:22 am et
Source: Los Angeles Times

I wasn't involved in the negotiations and I could've told you that Boras would be looking around $7-8M range. It doesn't matter whether Weaver is worth that or not. They were fully aware of how much extra they would need to go when dealing with Boras. Why waste the pick?

Now watch everyone jump in and call Weaver greedy. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:53 am

In my opinion, ARI and LAA each thought that Boras would come to reality a little and realize the day of the $10M bonuses are over - and once he saw that no one signed for more than $5M, he'd drop off those demands. But Drew turned down $7.5M, so it is obvious that Boras (and therefore Drew) has not come to this realization. As for Weaver, we'll see, but he was asking for $10M at the time of the draft (i.e. "Prior money") - so at least the drop to $8M is some concession.

Honestly, I hope that both Weaver and Drew suffer the same fate as that HS pitcher a few years ago (Harrington, I think), who turned down $4M from the Rockies, went back into the draft, got drafted even lower and turned down $1.5M and the spiral downward continued. But, alas, one of the big market teams will draft one or both and pay what they're asking and no one will truly stand up to Boras. But it would be beautiful if they did and teams finally realized that even the most highly touted draft picks are no guarantee.

As for Weaver being greedy - I don't have that opinion. This would have been the case for any Boras client. He guarantees he'll get them $X, and they hire him. Only when he fails to start delivering those amounts will there be any potential backlash. I guess Weaver and Drew could step in, but as owners have never stood up to Boras yet, why shouldn't those two believe it will eventually happen, even if it takes a year after that thought it would. Too bad they don't realize they're one year further away from the big paydays that could await from free agency - all for a couple million today.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby moochman » Sat May 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote: But, alas, one of the big market teams will draft one or both and pay what they're asking and no one will truly stand up to Boras. But it would be beautiful if they did and teams finally realized that even the most highly touted draft picks are no guarantee.

This is another black eye type of thing for MLB. They turn a blind eye to the fact the small market teams that suck: KC, Pitt, etc., don't pick the best player when they draft, opting instead for the cheapest to sign. Thus keeping small market teams from being able to compete. Not only do they not draft the high priced stud, but they also don't get a player who has trade value when their future contract prohibits them from being resigned, see Beltran.
What needs to be done in the next CBA is for MLB to institute a fixed price for draft picks: X amount for a #1, #2, and so on. Then the poor sucky teams could really try to field a competitive team.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat May 07, 2005 5:29 pm

moochman wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote: But, alas, one of the big market teams will draft one or both and pay what they're asking and no one will truly stand up to Boras. But it would be beautiful if they did and teams finally realized that even the most highly touted draft picks are no guarantee.

This is another black eye type of thing for MLB. They turn a blind eye to the fact the small market teams that suck: KC, Pitt, etc., don't pick the best player when they draft, opting instead for the cheapest to sign. Thus keeping small market teams from being able to compete. Not only do they not draft the high priced stud, but they also don't get a player who has trade value when their future contract prohibits them from being resigned, see Beltran.
What needs to be done in the next CBA is for MLB to institute a fixed price for draft picks: X amount for a #1, #2, and so on. Then the poor sucky teams could really try to field a competitive team.

They've tried, to some extent, with their "guidelines" for each pick and each round. But, overall, you're right as even if Drew and Weaver sign, it'll likely be for more than the slots in which they were drafted.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Yoda » Sat May 07, 2005 7:23 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:In my opinion, ARI and LAA each thought that Boras would come to reality a little and realize the day of the $10M bonuses are over - and once he saw that no one signed for more than $5M, he'd drop off those demands. But Drew turned down $7.5M, so it is obvious that Boras (and therefore Drew) has not come to this realization. As for Weaver, we'll see, but he was asking for $10M at the time of the draft (i.e. "Prior money") - so at least the drop to $8M is some concession.

Honestly, I hope that both Weaver and Drew suffer the same fate as that HS pitcher a few years ago (Harrington, I think), who turned down $4M from the Rockies, went back into the draft, got drafted even lower and turned down $1.5M and the spiral downward continued. But, alas, one of the big market teams will draft one or both and pay what they're asking and no one will truly stand up to Boras. But it would be beautiful if they did and teams finally realized that even the most highly touted draft picks are no guarantee.

As for Weaver being greedy - I don't have that opinion. This would have been the case for any Boras client. He guarantees he'll get them $X, and they hire him. Only when he fails to start delivering those amounts will there be any potential backlash. I guess Weaver and Drew could step in, but as owners have never stood up to Boras yet, why shouldn't those two believe it will eventually happen, even if it takes a year after that thought it would. Too bad they don't realize they're one year further away from the big paydays that could await from free agency - all for a couple million today.

Great post Dawg. The two sides are so far apart that it is tought to blame the Boras party. I live in SoCal and people complain about how greedy Weaver/Boras are. However, teams should know what they are getting into when dealing with his clients. It just seems like such a waste of a pick for the Halos if this was the best they would do. I'm disappointed but maybe something will happen. I doubt it. :-[
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers