OLIVER PEREZ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OLIVER PEREZ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OLIVER PEREZ

Postby Jwilliams5521 » Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 am

is it time to push the panic button on this guy? hes had only 1 good start this whole year and his k numbers are down. wonder if that injury is still lingering or do we have a case of the sophomore slump on our hands
Jwilliams5521
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Sat May 07, 2005 1:02 am

before i said you should be concerned but not go crazy

after watching 2nite, it was so ugly that i am not even sure the pirates can keep him at the Major league level for too much longer if he keeps pitching like this.

His slider DOES NOT look the same as it did last year, he has little control, and he is getting hit hard.

i have no idea what to say, other then i am glad i did not draft him in a single league nor did i trade low on him

time to start the oliver perez in 2006 bandwagon ;-D

he will be a steal next season
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mbuser » Sat May 07, 2005 1:45 am

someone trade for him before its too late and the pirates ruin a good portion of his prime :-t :~(
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 07, 2005 1:51 am

He's either A) hurt or B) would make a GREAT buy low candidate.

I really can't decide which one it is. But the risk associated with trading a terrible player for Perez is very low, as I'm sure most of his owners are pretty much ready to drop him for nothing.

One thing IMO is for sure, a pitcher with talent like that doesn't pitch this poorly for extended periods if healthy.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat May 07, 2005 2:38 am

When Perez started off so poorly, I remembered that last year Johan Santana had an ERA over 5.00 into June. I had Santana last year and stuck with him. He started the year 1-4, 5.61 ERA, 1.49 WHIP in the first two months of the season. Then he took off and was flat-out AMAZING for the rest of the year.

Right now, Perez is 1-3, 7.57 ERA, 1.88 WHIP. Knowing what Santana did, you might think Perez could do the same. But there are big differences.

In '04, even with his bad ERA and WHIP, Santana had a 2.8 K/BB ratio, an 8.0 K/9 and a 2.8 BB/9. His peripherals were solid.

In '05, Perez' peripherals are bad: 1.2 K/BB (bad), 7.3 K/9 (not bad), and 6.3 BB/9 (very, very bad).

I'd drop him like a hot potato. He has a long way to go to turn this around and even if he does, the Pirates don't score any runs anyway, so he won't win many. I'd guess there are better pitchers available on your waiver wire.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Bud Light » Sat May 07, 2005 3:27 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:When Perez started off so poorly, I remembered that last year Johan Santana had an ERA over 5.00 into June. I had Santana last year and stuck with him. He started the year 1-4, 5.61 ERA, 1.49 WHIP in the first two months of the season. Then he took off and was flat-out AMAZING for the rest of the year.

Right now, Perez is 1-3, 7.57 ERA, 1.88 WHIP. Knowing what Santana did, you might think Perez could do the same. But there are big differences.

In '04, even with his bad ERA and WHIP, Santana had a 2.8 K/BB ratio, an 8.0 K/9 and a 2.8 BB/9. His peripherals were solid.

In '05, Perez' peripherals are bad: 1.2 K/BB (bad), 7.3 K/9 (not bad), and 6.3 BB/9 (very, very bad).

I'd drop him like a hot potato. He has a long way to go to turn this around and even if he does, the Pirates don't score any runs anyway, so he won't win many. I'd guess there are better pitchers available on your waiver wire.

I took a look at Perez as a great buy low candidate, but he is pitching as bad as his stats. He's not striking guys out and he's got terrible control. J.Vasquez is the one who looks more like the J.Santana of this year.
Bud Light
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat May 07, 2005 3:42 am

what kind of pitchers are people thinking of TAKING in exchange for Ollie? i am planning to make a trade offer for him but trying to gauge what to offer. I thought Lieber would get it done but i tried that a couple weeks ago and was rejected. Now im not so sure he could reject it but now im also not so sure i WANT to do it lol.
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sat May 07, 2005 3:50 am

slomo007 wrote:He's either A) hurt or B) would make a GREAT buy low candidate.

I really can't decide which one it is. But the risk associated with trading a terrible player for Perez is very low, as I'm sure most of his owners are pretty much ready to drop him for nothing.

One thing IMO is for sure, a pitcher with talent like that doesn't pitch this poorly for extended periods if healthy.

Put me down for the A side on this one. Shoulder problems seem inevitable for guys who who have such effort in their motion, and Perez is certainly not getting the movement in the strike zone (when he gets it in the strike zone) that he did last year.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SoxWillNeverWinAgain » Sat May 07, 2005 8:31 am

I'm not giving up on him just yet, a few weeks ago I picked up Patterson and more recently I picked up Bedard to help my staff..

If you remember in spring training they were talking about changing ollie's motion (for some unknown reason) maybe that's whats hurting him? I'm not certain.
SoxWillNeverWinAgain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Box » Sat May 07, 2005 9:00 am

He's my 6th pitcher right now and riding pine so I'm not too concerned. His value is virtually nil so you may as well hold on to him until he either A) hits the DL or B) can't put together a good string of starts for another month.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers