Why a Polanco Trade May Have to Wait - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why a Polanco Trade May Have to Wait

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why a Polanco Trade May Have to Wait

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 06, 2005 10:48 pm

A potential trade for Polanco might have to wait until after June 15, when Polanco can no longer veto any trade, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The question becomes whether the Cubs are willing to wait that long for help up the middle. They may just try to negotiate around Polanco's veto ability.

The folks with Utley who are waiting for him to take over 2B in Phil may have top wait a little longer.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Fri May 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I guess the Phils could ask Polanco if he wants a starting job in Chicago or a part time job in Philly. You'd think he'd jump at the chance. May not need to wait till June 15th for that.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby RJCarrot » Sat May 07, 2005 12:08 am

Hes getting shipped regardless, if he dont want to take it the phillies can just give him the el bencho.

Even if utley is platooning untill then, anyone who was looking into playin gthe utley longshot from the beginning has a backup until it time.

Actually this news is good for me, its a solid statement that its going to happen. Now I just gotta play around it until it does.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby The Punisher » Sat May 07, 2005 1:22 am

damnt i want utley to get PT so bad
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 07, 2005 7:51 am

I'm in a deep league and have kept him in the line-up. Even as a PT player he is deliverinng more than many full-time altrnatives. I do expect a dip in his .BA if he gets a full-time role. His record against lefties in minor and ML play is not good.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Sat May 07, 2005 7:02 pm

Is the case that they have asked him and he has vetoed? What situation is Polanco expecting to go into that is any better than the Cubs?

Beyond that, what is he waiting for? He is an FA this year and this part time stuff isn't exactly giving him a statline that will help him win a fat contract. It seems to me that he is financially better off in any situation were he can play every day. His agent must be an idiot.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 07, 2005 11:12 pm

Frankly I don't know why CHI would want him. I'm not banking on a deal. He is a good player. No question. But Walker returns in 1-2 weeks so they don't need help at 2B.

And there are some in CHI who question Polanco's ability to handle SS on a full-time basis. He has played about 1 season worth of SS over his career and was apparently workmanlike but unspectacular. Why rent a 2Bman when what you really need is a SS?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers