Should Kerry Wood become the next John Smoltz? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Kerry Wood become the next John Smoltz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri May 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Conner wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Conner wrote:Either way...Save percetage is still a terrible statistic. Does it factor in two inning opportunies? Or how many times each of them came in with a 1 run lead, with guys on base? I'm not even going to bother with the "pressure situations" stuff (although it's tough to argue against Rivera being in many more of them than Hoffman) because it's just not quantifiable.

But, again: I know that, as a Padre's fan, you've not nothing else to be proud of besides Trevor Hoffman....but nobody else cares.


Wouldn't, in theory, it make more sense that Rivera came in with three-run leads more often than Hoffman since the Yankees have always been a better hitting team?

And the whole pressure thing is ridiculous. If a closer can't close in pressure situations what's the purpose of closing?


No.


Can't you just lt it go?

The entire reason this "debate" started was because I said Rivera's one of the few guys who've stayed dominant over a long time, without getting hurt.

In return, you come up with save percentage (88 to 87) and the fact that Hoffman had one single season that's better than Rivera's.


Rivera's 100X better than Trevor Hoffman, and always has been. Hoffman could never do anything Rivera has done.

Rivera is the single reason for the yankees success during his career, and Hoffman is the reason for the Padre's sucking all these years.

Go cry about it.


lol...Rivera's come through in the playoffs.

When you compare reg season stats, Hoffman matches up very well. However, when you account for the number of big games (playoffs) Rivera's saved in his career, he is by far the more reliable closer.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby davidmarver » Fri May 06, 2005 9:19 pm

Hoffman is a better closer, dude. Sorry to inform you East Coasters. In fact, the best two closers in baseball history play less than two hours apart.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Conner » Fri May 06, 2005 9:23 pm

davidmarver wrote:Hoffman is a better closer, dude. Sorry to inform you East Coasters. In fact, the best two closers in baseball history play less than two hours apart.


"Dude"...I already told you that Rivera is 100 times better than Hoffman, and you'v done not a single thing to prove otherewise.


You lose. The funny thing is...you really weren't even arguing with anyone. Your arguments just stunk so bad, that they disqualified you, right from the start.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri May 06, 2005 9:25 pm

Conner wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Hoffman is a better closer, dude. Sorry to inform you East Coasters. In fact, the best two closers in baseball history play less than two hours apart.


"Dude"...I already told you that Rivera is 100 times better than Hoffman, and you'v done not a single thing to prove otherewise.


You lose. The funny thing is...you really weren't even arguing with anyone. Your arguments just stunk so bad, that they disqualified you, right from the start.


I'm sure that's it, seeing as you have used ONE statistic the entire time and it has nothing to do with being a closer. Oh yeah, and if Hoffman was your closer, the Yanks would probably have two more World Series Championships. Sorry to rub it in, but a few post season appearanced don't make you a complete stud. If it does then lets all just induct Jim Leyritz in the Hall of Fame.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Conner » Fri May 06, 2005 9:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Conner wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Hoffman is a better closer, dude. Sorry to inform you East Coasters. In fact, the best two closers in baseball history play less than two hours apart.


"Dude"...I already told you that Rivera is 100 times better than Hoffman, and you'v done not a single thing to prove otherewise.


You lose. The funny thing is...you really weren't even arguing with anyone. Your arguments just stunk so bad, that they disqualified you, right from the start.


I'm sure that's it, seeing as you have used ONE statistic the entire time and it has nothing to do with being a closer. Oh yeah, and if Hoffman was your closer, the Yanks would probably have two more World Series Championships. Sorry to rub it in, but a few post season appearanced don't make you a complete stud. If it does then lets all just induct Jim Leyritz in the Hall of Fame.


"Dude"....a freakin' Padres fan is not capable of rubbing anything in, against anyone.

And, I know I've only "used" one stat. Have you really not noticed that you're the only person who really cares about this silly "argument"?


If Trevor Hoffman were the closer for the Yankees, they'd have zero world championships. I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:49 pm

All of you take your bickering to PMs or another thread, its not even on topic. Anyways, making Wood a closer is not a good idea. He walks too many people to be effective.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat May 07, 2005 12:14 am

I agree. Not only does Wood have poor control, which can be disastrous for a closer, but he's just much more valuable as a starter. Don't forget that a closer isn't really that valuable - he just happens to come in during high-pressure situations. If someone said, "Hey, why don't the Cubs shift Kerry Wood to the bullpen?", then they'd probably get laughed at. But a closer? Well, that's completely different... ;-7
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1004
Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Sat May 07, 2005 2:35 am

connor, stop being an ass.

you can make an argument without being rude.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Sat May 07, 2005 3:00 am

Laean wrote:connor, stop being an ass.

you can make an argument without being rude.


I think that you calling me an "ass" is much more rude than I've been here (or ever, on this board, actually).



Stop being so rude.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Sat May 07, 2005 3:28 am

Conner wrote:
Laean wrote:connor, stop being an ass.

you can make an argument without being rude.


I think that you calling me an "ass" is much more rude than I've been here (or ever, on this board, actually).



Stop being so rude.


stop being an ass, please.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact