Keeper leauge transition, anyone done this? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leauge transition, anyone done this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper leauge transition, anyone done this?

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 06, 2005 2:52 pm

Right now, our keeper league keeps 5 players each year. We're in our 2nd year. I want to move from what we have now to a salary cap league. Is there any smooth way to transition this? Has anyone tried this?

My first thoughts were to have the league agree on a credible source for auction prices on all the players. After we agree on a source, put a value on each player from our team this year. Then we'd have to get under the $260 cap or whatever we set it at by adding/dropping. I know for a fact that I'd be over the cap with the players I have and would have to pick and choose.

Is this too much work? Should we just start over with an auction if we want to move to a salary cap league?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri May 06, 2005 2:59 pm

this best way to do this would be to start over with an auction ..
But I like your idea.
Maybe get everybody to agree ahead of time on something like Rototimes auction prices.
I am guessing that everybody won't agree though. There will be protests over guys like Brian Roberts and proobaly a few closers, just to give an example.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Fri May 06, 2005 4:26 pm

I would say it would be much easier than that. In a perfect world you would have done this BEFORE The season but now shouldnt be too late. However, the farther into the season you wait the more your going to have people use the values to look at their specific player and protest because that price doesnt seem right. Just assign each round a $ value and go from there. For instance:

1st round-$35
2nd-30
3rd-28
4th-25
5th-23
6th-21
7th-9th=$15
10th-12th=$13
13th-15th=$10
16th-18th=$8
19th-21st=$5
22nd-23rd=$1

Then you go into next year with a $260 cap. For THIS year you can assign any free agent pick up a $15 dollar price tag. Anyone that was claimed off waivers(within the first week of being dropped by another team) would maintain his price of the round he was drafted in. Only AFTER clearing waivers would the $15 price tag apply. Starting next year you can either A) keep assigning all free agents a $15 price tag(much easier) which my baseball leagues all do or B)have people submit secret bids once a week for free agents which comes out of a separate and FAKE free agent salary cap. This is in some ways more tedious but both ways have their good and bad points.

Hope this makes sense , if you have any questions feel free to ask.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 06, 2005 4:29 pm

I think the point now is make your decision on a price plan and stick with it. The later in the year you go, players values are going to change and effect how teams respond to proposed values.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Fri May 06, 2005 4:35 pm

The BIGGEST thing i would suggest is to make to make the price scale a sliding scale. Obviously you can tweak teh Numbers any way you wish . YOu could even tweak them to make them all add up to the $260 cap you plan to use. what you do NOT want to do IMHO is go without the weighted system(sliding scale). I have played in a league like that before and if EVERY player cost the same to reserve then the top 20-50 players are naturally going to be saved. Do you reserve Pujols or say Lyle overbay? In an unwaited system that is a no brainer , Pujols gets reserved every single time....Players like ,Beltran,matsui,Manny,RJ and the like are the same way..
However if it is weighted then the decision is not so obvious.

do you reserve Pujols at $35 or Overbay at $5(and save an extra $30 for the draft)??????

again hope this made sense,

ink
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 06, 2005 4:41 pm

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:The BIGGEST thing i would suggest is to make to make the price scale a sliding scale. Obviously you can tweak teh Numbers any way you wish . YOu could even tweak them to make them all add up to the $260 cap you plan to use. what you do NOT want to do IMHO is go without the weighted system(sliding scale). I have played in a league like that before and if EVERY player cost the same to reserve then the top 20-50 players are naturally going to be saved. Do you reserve Pujols or say Lyle overbay? In an unwaited system that is a no brainer , Pujols gets reserved every single time....Players like ,Beltran,matsui,Manny,RJ and the like are the same way..
However if it is weighted then the decision is not so obvious.

do you reserve Pujols at $35 or Overbay at $5(and save an extra $30 for the draft)??????

again hope this made sense,

ink

Definitely agree.. I did not know people did it any other way. That kind of defeats the point of a salary league to me if you dont.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Fri May 06, 2005 4:48 pm

You could do it as a transition, but to me it's not really fair.

People draft a certain way when they need to meet a salary. Players who are bargins now and who may soon take off are more valuable than in straight drafting leagues.

By changing this in a keeper league, you're going to have some guys who made good draft picks for a non-salary league, but totally shot themselves in the foot if the transition happens.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 06, 2005 4:53 pm

Prime example was football this year...

Holmes went #1 in straight up leagues where as LT went #1 in keeper leagues.

But if you have salary base values on each keeper from an outside source....LT is going to be worth alot more then Holmes on the cap which will then even out for the different teams. All the top picks in baseball seem pretty young (except Clemens and Bonds) so I am not sure this really applies as much. But I think he can transition well if there is a set value system based on a keeper league format.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to Baseball Leftovers