Are Wins overrated in both H2H and Roto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are Wins overrated in both H2H and Roto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri May 06, 2005 3:16 pm

jjigglers wrote: just drafting an extra starter or two instead of one or two bench hitters.

now thats good advice .. actually if you could get away with two or three extra starters, and play the mathups, you wil probably come out ahead 9 out of 10 times.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jjigglers » Fri May 06, 2005 3:17 pm

wrveres wrote:
jjigglers wrote:
wrveres wrote:In H2H wins are very overrated ..
Not in Roto though. In 12 team Roto punting a category is the worst thing you can do. It limits the margin for error in the other categories. You could get a money spot buy punting wins, but you won't 'win' in 12 team league.

Not punting, but drafting cheaper starters with lower ratios but less wins, and just drafting an extra starter or two instead of one or two bench hitters.

but in since, you would be punting.
You will give your self no real chance at wins, probably finishing at or neer the bottom. You will probably struggle in Strikeouts too.

Makes no sense.
Less pitchers with more wins gets you the same as
more pitchers with less wins.

And strikeouts are not anyway related to wins, so your K's would probably be even higher with more pitchers.

The entire strategy is to win the volume stats without the cost of your ratios, and what pitchers to use.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Fri May 06, 2005 3:25 pm

Ok now you lost me ..

first you are talking about wins bieng overrated, now we are discussing carrying extra pitchers to try and capture those elusive wins.

ok and I went and reread the thread

I agree with Musky, There are very few SP with 17-20 wins potential that will kill your ratios. Are there a few sure, but bieng the vet that you are, simply avoid them.

You will never in a million years see Kenny Rogers on one of my rosters.
Last edited by wrveres on Fri May 06, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri May 06, 2005 3:26 pm

Oh and the only Boston/Yankee pitcher I own is Wakefield. and he gets spot started. Personally I tend to avoid AL Starting pithcers all together, but I do have a couple this season. Buehrle.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 06, 2005 3:36 pm

I guess I am confused as well. The question drafting an Oliver Perez vs Mark Mulder is this.

What are the chances Perez repeats his averages and K's vs the chances Mulder wins a bunch of games with decent averages. Notice we dont even have to assume Mulder has great averages. Typically young guys with with great averages and k's can be found with a sharp eye for the waiver wire....a 17-20 game winner is not going to slip through the draft very often (and if he does it will be Kenny Rogers). So that is why people draft players like that. No one in there mind would say a 20 win guy who bombs everything else is worth more then a Sheets.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby jjigglers » Fri May 06, 2005 3:55 pm

maybe 17-20 is a bad ceiling, perhaps, because it grabs the elite pitchers. what i was looking for was a comparison of mediocre pitchers, those with more wins vs. those with better ratios.

perhaps 12 game winners vs. 15 game winners.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 06, 2005 4:27 pm

The point you are making is the essense of fantasy baseball. You have to find the right combination of players that averages out your numbers better then everyone elses. Ideally everyone would want nothing but guys with 15+ wins, Sub 3.00 ERA, SUB 1.15 WHIP and 200+ K's. Not many of these guys exist....so we have to decide what we can aborb in poor averages. I think what most people find is that a 15 game winner with poor stats is worth a roster spot, not as an everyday player, but boost your numbers on a per week basis.

I agree with your philosophy of carrying extra pitchers with good averages. The reason I like to do this is I can put them in at the end of the week if trailing in wins and not worry about pissing my other catagories away. I do not think wins are overrated though, but are comparable to stolen bases in their visibility.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers