Kevin Brown Excuse #3259 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Brown Excuse #3259

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Brown Excuse #3259

Postby Irish » Fri May 06, 2005 12:50 pm

From Rotworld:

Kevin Brown voiced his frustrations with his early season struggles yesterday.
''When you get that many ground balls and they find the holes, I don't know,'' Brown said. ''I don't have any explanation for it. It's not like I've walked out there and given up home run after home run or balls hitting the wall every time I throw the ball up there.'' It's called a bad defense, Kevin. May. 6 - 9:21 am et

Justified vent, or a just a tool?
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 06, 2005 12:56 pm

Well, the shots are relatively hard...but as a sinkerballer, he's supposed to induce groundballs. IMO, it's a mix. Hitters are getting good contact on the ball, but they're also hitting it to where the fielders aren't. Even a good defense cannot make spectacular play after spectacular play to rob all base hits.

Personally, I still think he'll bounce back to be an asset at the back of the rotation. Only thing I'm worried about is his confidence level.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Kevin Brown Excuse #3259

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 pm

Irish wrote:From Rotworld:

Kevin Brown voiced his frustrations with his early season struggles yesterday.
''When you get that many ground balls and they find the holes, I don't know,'' Brown said. ''I don't have any explanation for it. It's not like I've walked out there and given up home run after home run or balls hitting the wall every time I throw the ball up there.'' It's called a bad defense, Kevin. May. 6 - 9:21 am et

Justified vent, or a just a tool?

I was going to post this myself but you beat me to it. Yeah Brown never makes excuses...right. And bad defense has nothing to do with it. Hey Brown, have you thought that maybe you just blow and should take you bad back and excuse making to an old-timer's game?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mamorris » Fri May 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Brown's right, though. He's only given up 2 HRs and 4 walks in 24 innings, which is pretty good. The Ks aren't really there, but his main problem has just been a bucketload of singles. If you believe in DIPS theory, this should right itself over time (this will be one of the biggest tests yet). Like Warrick said, the main problem is the confidence level, and I guess the fact the Yanks might actually ditch him from the rotation if they ever get healthy again.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Cooner » Fri May 06, 2005 1:30 pm

I don't think there are too many Ichiros out there, guys who can put every ground ball they hit to a spot that a fielder can't get it in time. He's probably got a point (but there's no need to complain to the world about your frustrations).
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri May 06, 2005 3:33 pm

KB is right .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Conner » Fri May 06, 2005 3:41 pm

mamorris wrote:Brown's right, though. He's only given up 2 HRs and 4 walks in 24 innings, which is pretty good. The Ks aren't really there, but his main problem has just been a bucketload of singles. If you believe in DIPS theory, this should right itself over time (this will be one of the biggest tests yet). Like Warrick said, the main problem is the confidence level, and I guess the fact the Yanks might actually ditch him from the rotation if they ever get healthy again.

Exactly right.

It's been incredibly frustrating as a fan to see tons of groundballs that just happen to bounce over the firstbaseman...or right over the third or firstbas bag, or just squeek between shortstop and third...It must be really frustrating for Brown.

And nobody is saying it's "bad defense" (although the Yankees defense certainly isn't very good)...the fact of the matter is, about 75% of groundballs are supposed to be turned into outs (whether they're hit hard or soft)...and many of the balls hit off of Brown have been fairly soft groundballs. That "bad luck" just has to turn around at some point.

He's also only pitched in 4 games this season, and the last one was on turf...But if he keeps getting the groundballs and not walking anyone...he should be fine.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DannyMyron89 » Fri May 06, 2005 6:46 pm

as a diehard yankee fan i dont care if brown wins 20 games he has no credability with me and i cant wait for him to be gone!!!

he has no heart, and moans and complains even on the rare occasions he pitches decent...

he makes exuses and blames everyone but himself for everything, i dont care if hes right on this one you dont go moan and groan about it to the press and knock your team that is wrong...

again this just shows how classy guys like Jeter, Bernie, Posada, and Tino are. they can resign bernie for much cheaper as a situational player next year, but get Brown the hell out of hear. man i hate him, if i saw him i would put him out of buisness myself so he would never be able to pay and collect that obnoxious contract...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Conner » Fri May 06, 2005 6:50 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote: i dont care if hes right on this one you dont go moan and groan about it to the press and knock your team that is wrong...

You don't know what you're talking about.

1) He's been asked questions all season. This is the first real "excuse" he's come up with....and it was in response to a question. He obviously didn't go search out the mdia so he could say these things. They've been hounding him for "excuses" all season. That's what the media does....and when he doesn't answer their queestions, people get angry at him....when he does com up with a legitimate point, people get angry at him.

2) He didn't "knock his team". I don't even know where you came up with that.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 06, 2005 9:28 pm

I've heard a lot of people say Kevin Brown is a jerk ... and that very well may be. But I've never heard anyone associated with the game question his commitment and professionalism. He is known everywhere as a hard worker and a team player. I give him the benefit of the doubt. You don't pitch that well for that many years and not know what's going on with your mechanics and overall capability.

No one seems to question the luck factor when Jose Lima throws a couple shutouts. But when a good pitcher gets hit hard a few times luck has nothing to do with it.

As for this statement ...

man i hate him, if i saw him i would put him out of buisness myself so he would never be able to pay and collect that obnoxious contract...

Man, seek mental health counseling. You've got issues, pal.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers