MAX IP, when to worry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MAX IP, when to worry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MAX IP, when to worry?

Postby The Big Papi » Wed May 04, 2005 10:09 pm

I'm in a private pts league w/ a maximum innings pitched limit at 1450. I started my pitchers every start except maybe once, I'm now projected to be about 35 innings over the limit. I have started paying more attention to the matchups and benching certain pitchers (Harden his last start, Haren today, Ollie on Friday, etc) to try and bring it down.

Just wondering if I should be worried about being projected to be over this early into the year, or if you guys think its better to worry about it later. I ask b/c I currently have the 2nd highest innings in the league, and still am trailing. Tho its not by much, the team who was in first place for the longest time, and just got bumped down recently is projected to be 45 innings UNDER the limit. Thats somewhat worrisome.
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 04, 2005 10:14 pm

If this is a Total Points league (aka Roto Points) it's way too early in the season to worry about it IMO. No doubt at some point in the season you're going to be hit with an injury or something else unforseen. I usually wait to the 2nd half to start paying attention to it. Of course still sit a pitcher if you get a match-up you really don't like. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Big Papi » Wed May 04, 2005 10:18 pm

Yea its total pts, here are the settings

R (1), H (1), 2B (1), 3B (2), HR (3), RBI (1), SB (2.5), CS (-1), BB (1), HBP (1), K (-1), GIDP (-2), A (.25), IP (1.2), W (10), L (-5), CG (8), SHO (8), SV (8), H (-.5), ER (-1), HR (-1), BB (-.5), HBP (-.5), K (1), WP (-.5), GIDP (2)

As you can see, wins at 10, and saves at 8 are the most important, and thats why I've been throwing all my pitchers out there.

SP J. Santana
SP R. Harden
SP M. Buehrle
SP Oli. Perez
RP J. Nathan
RP D. Turnbow
P J. Taverez
BN J. Rincon
BN D. Haren
BN J. Patterson
BN D. Hermanson
BN J. Brower
DL J. Borowski

^^^
That would be my pitching staff, I think its pretty good and thats another reason I feel the need to always start them lol.

Good to hear that 35 over isnt a big deal this early in the year, I still will be benching Ollie on Friday tho :-/
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Wed May 04, 2005 10:19 pm

Don't worry so much. It's too early to tell whether you will be at that projection in a few months. If you find that you are quickly approaching the total, you can try to trade some of your pitching for some bigger bats and you will keenly fly in under the limit. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby bceagles04 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 pm

just go by the sit if at coors rule ;-D
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Thu May 05, 2005 4:12 am

You should be a little aware of where you are, but 35 innings over at this point isn't a big deal.

I'd say bench Ollie until he starts to turn it around. I actually like to be a little over my limits early in the year, because you will probably lose guys to injury and what not for periods.

What you DON"T want to do is use up all your IP before you get all your starts out of guys like Santana. It's not good to run out of innings with 2 weeks left in the season if you have 3 of Santana's starts left.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Stubo » Thu May 05, 2005 7:15 am

I am not sure if this is still an option but in Yahoo last year points league you stopped accumilating points once you reached the 1250 innings pitched, with a week to go I managed to nudge with RP's only upto 1248.1 innings pitched. Then scoured the wires for Free Agents who were all pitching on one night filling 9 roster spots with SP's (2 had to have RP elig).
I mananged to gain 100+ (i think) points from pitchers in one night from an aparent 1.2 innings. I am not sure that you can still do this but I jumped from 7th to 3rd in a league right at the death.
It is always worth a try.
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RAmst23 » Thu May 05, 2005 10:57 am

Whoa, if I understood that correctly, that's a fairly large loophole. Anyone confirm this, and let me doublecheck to make sure I understand this correctly.

Say you have 1246 IP with max 1250. That day you start say 7 SP all going that day and they rack up about 56 IP with 5 wins. Do you get all 5 of those wins even though you've shot past the max IP total??
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Thu May 05, 2005 11:14 am

From the Yahoo! rules.....

"All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats. "

So yeah, it's something that could and should be taken advantage of if you need W's and K's on your last day.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Stubo » Thu May 05, 2005 11:14 am

That was the case last year, I assume it works for rotiss as well. I only found out because in 1 league I had the same number of saves as another guy in rotiss and we both had 1 inning or so left i put my best RP in and got 1 save he left his lineup and got 2 saves and a win on the night. That is why I employed it in my points league as stated above.

So yes you can theoretically rack up 7 wins, 40 k's, etc etc
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers