Didn't draft any pitching? No problem. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Didn't draft any pitching? No problem.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Didn't draft any pitching? No problem.

Postby oukurt » Wed May 04, 2005 4:48 pm

I have been away from fantasy baseball for a few seasons and finally made it back. My question: Are there usually this many surprises at starting pitcher that can be found on the waiver wire in fantasy leagues?

So far this year Bedard, Myers, Garland, Chacin, and Patterson all could have been had off waivers and make a pretty solid pitching rotation.

I know we are 1 month in and some of these guys will come back to earth, but still, not shabby.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed May 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Yes there is always this much pitching to be had. You hit on the big key though. The chances of all of them remaining consitent is very low, so you ride it out as long as possible. You can say the exact same thing about hitters as well. There is always someone on the wire who will outperform regular fantasy starters for a spurt or two.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Par66 » Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 pm

good points...

Furthermore, this is why there's so much talk about drafting the stud batters early as opposed to the pitchers. While there are often hitters that emerge to suprise you for weeks or even months at a time, there's typically even more pitchers that are sitting in the FA pool after draft day who then bust out with money stretches. (no hard proof of this, but it sure seems that way)
Par66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mark Lemke » Wed May 04, 2005 7:00 pm

What do you guys think get messed with more at the end of september during the semi's and finals of our HTH playoff's? As a result of September callups for non-contenders and teams who have clinched?

Is it positional players or pitchers resting arms / teams setting their rotation?

I think it is pitching, and that you can count more on everyday positional players.
Mark Lemke Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers