Steroid use "widespread" in MLB in 60's & 70's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroid use "widespread" in MLB in 60's & 70's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steroid use "widespread" in MLB in 60's & 70's

Postby ramble2 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Thought this was an interesting story.

Though I certainly do not condone the recent steroid use, I'm not so naive as to think that it (or something like it) is only a recent phenomonon.

Performance enhancing drugs are nothing new, though there may be new performance enhancing drugs. What is relatively recent is (i) appreciation for and commitment to strength training; and (ii) expressed desire to rid the game of these drugs. Obviously a lot of other things come into play, but these two factors have certainly served to help highlight the role of drugs in ALL sports - baseball included.

Something to keep in mind the next time you hear someone call for any asterisks to be placed in the record book ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:14 pm

Tom Grieve was discussing this during the Rangers/A's game last night, he was saying that he won't go so far as to say it's not true....but he said he honestly never saw it in all of his years as a player, and thinks the author might be exaggerating by calling it "widespread".

I tend to agree with him, there may have been a couple of guys, but I think it's pretty far-fetched to call it widespread then. I don't know a lot about the history of steroids, but weren't they pretty unknown in the 60s and 70s?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 04, 2005 12:34 pm

They were unknown to the general public, but not to paid atheletes. Who is the guy who said it? Is he as unreliable as Canseco?
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed May 04, 2005 12:44 pm

Tom House's claim to fame is catching Hank Aaron's 715 ball in the Atlanta bullpen, that and thinking that throwing a football around is the throwing pitchers should be doing on their off days. There is no reason to believe him about anything other than the amphetimines use. That's been an open secret about baseball for a long time, since Ball Four. I just cannot imagine there being too many players willing to shoot themselves up with stuff that nobody knew about. This even predates the East Germans using the stuff. There is no real reason to believe him.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Steroid use "widespread" in MLB in 60's & 70's

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 04, 2005 12:54 pm

ramble2 wrote:Something to keep in mind the next time you hear someone call for any asterisks to be placed in the record book ...

Exactly, that's why the whole asterisk notion is absurd. I don't remember who it was (Kurkjan or Stark I think) that said the fans are the ones who put the asterisks by players in our minds becuase we are in the here and now and it's our opinion that shapes a player's legacy, not some irrelevant notation in the record books. They of course said it a lot better, but you get the idea. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Steroid use "widespread" in MLB in 60's & 70's

Postby reiser » Wed May 04, 2005 1:27 pm

ramble2 wrote:Thought this was an interesting story.

man, i can't remember where i saw this story, but there was some weightlifting guru back in the 50's who popularized using steroids among athletes...no, steroids certainly aren't new.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby coachdino » Wed May 04, 2005 1:43 pm

There was more drug use in the 60's and 70's period. People were taking all types of drugs back then. It makes sense that they were doing performance enhancing drugs as well. There wasn't the education there is now explaining the side effects.
coachdino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 04, 2005 1:47 pm

This was when it was just horse testostarone, right? That was some pretty rough stuff, doubt it was that effective even if it was widespread.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers