Terrible batting - what should I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Terrible batting - what should I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Terrible batting - what should I do?

Postby Mordraken » Wed May 04, 2005 10:39 am

My entire batting roster is in rough shape. I think the guys are better than they are currently performing, but I made that mistake for 6 months with Jason Giambi last year... My league has limited pickups for the year, and I have only 4 left until the all-star break. My league uses Runs, RBIs, SB, OBP, SLG.

Over the past 2 weeks, my team has had 4 extra base hits and 2 home runs. My team OPS is down around .600. I don't have a single player with a slugging over .500...

Roster:
C - Ramon Hernandez (he's ok.. I can live with an average cather)
1B - Jim Thome - terrible, is he the 2005 version of the 2004 Giambi?
2B - Edgardo Alfonzo - I dropped Mark Bellhorn for him, hopefully he'll improve
3B - Aubry Huff - has been OK, but much less than expected
SS - Bobby Crosby (DL) replaced with Kaz Matzui who is absolutley terrible... I am thinking of replacing him with Caezar Istruis or Javier Valentine, who are the only good SS's available.
OF:
Preston Wilson - batting arond 200, good RBIs, but terrible OBP and SLG
Larry Walker - See Preston Wilson
Dave Roberts - Got him for his runs & SBs, and he in on a pace for 54 runs and 40 SBs for the year with a .710 OPS. Again... terrible.
DH- Jeff Bagwell - I had hoped for a .380 OBP and a .450 SLG, and he's got a .360 OBP (close) but a .398 SLG (bad). Also on pace for a career worst year.

I picked up Eric Hinske to help replace Thome (who I had benched before he ended up on the DL), but I don't know what to do with some of my severe under-performers.

Here's an extreme example - there are about a dozen free agents better than Thome... do I drop Thome? He has absolutley no trade value....

Here's a more realisitc example - Do I drop Larry Walker or Dave Roberts and pick up someone like Biggio, Willy-Mo Pena, Alex Rios?

And... Do I drop Matsui and pick up either Isturis or Valentine even though it's only a 30-day fix (until Crosby comes back). Or maybe keep them and drop Bagwell....

Any help is much appreciated. I think a singel-A ball team could outperform the team I am fielding this year.

(PS - my pitching is good, but the only trade offers I'm getting are for things like Matt Clement and Jim Thome for Adam Dunn.... my league is filled with sharks, and right now I'm bait).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeff926 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:06 am

i think that you need to trade one of your marquee pitchers, if you are deep, and get a big name bat. you are lacking in that dept, i know you were hoping for that with thome... he will be fine by the way. he should hit a lot of hr for you once he gets healthy
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team