Angry at Aaron Rowand - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angry at Aaron Rowand

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bselig » Wed May 04, 2005 8:49 am

Although I would never even think about drafting someone as overrated as Rowand, if you look at his splits he IS a really slow starter. I think it's getting to the point where he is a good pickup, not a good drop. I do feel sorry for the poor fools who actually made him their early-to-mid round pick, though, and can obviously see how they'd like to use that roster spot on a baseball player who can hit the baseball
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 am

He's on my list. I'll wait til he shows me some offense before I pick him back up.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 am

He shouldn't really be called a one year wonder, he really only had 1 great month. Every other month he was just decent to average, though he hit well for AVG.

Take away the month of August and his numbers are:
65 run - 15 hr - 45 rbi
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AT » Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 am

I wasted a late round pick on Rowand and I think I passed up Burrell, Andruw Jones, Preston Wilson, around that time. I'm pretty pissed with his performance but strangely, most of that team is hitting poorly and worse at home than on the road. Rowand is worse against lefties than he his against righties...They have all the strange signs of a team headed for an offensive turnaround since they are bucking conventionalism in their struggles. I picked up Brad Hawpe to play against righties in Rowand's place. I'm keeping him on the bench for now. At this point I'll take one month of glory...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Wed May 04, 2005 12:30 pm

i certainly hope so! im one of the biggest rowand supporters and just acquired him in my most important league.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Dodger Blue » Wed May 04, 2005 3:10 pm

hybrid wrote:He shouldn't really be called a one year wonder, he really only had 1 great month. Every other month he was just decent to average, though he hit well for AVG.

Take away the month of August and his numbers are:
65 run - 15 hr - 45 rbi

So what. If he hits 4-6 HR and 4-6 SB per month thats not good enough?
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed May 04, 2005 6:14 pm

So what? Well I thought it was obvious, your expecting numbers that you really shouldn't ... based on one month. Besides that one month his next highest HR total is 4, same with SB's. Expecting 4-6 every month, when he has only ever gone over 4 in one month ... isn't realistic IMO.

I think people are just expecting to much from him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dodger Blue » Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 pm

hybrid wrote:So what? Well I thought it was obvious, your expecting numbers that you really shouldn't ... based on one month. Besides that one month his next highest HR total is 4, same with SB's. Expecting 4-6 every month, when he has only ever gone over 4 in one month ... isn't realistic IMO.

I think people are just expecting to much from him.

So you saying players never get better? OF COURSE they do. I'm not saying he going to be the next Beltran or anything. But the guy is 27 and thats supposed to be the "prime" year. We shall see I guess I will take his production off the waiver wires in my leagues. I didn't draft him in any of my leagues I wouldn't waste a high pick on him. He offers nice potential IMO.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed May 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Huh? Can you please point out where I said players never get better?

He was never a big prospect, so I don't see where these expectations are coming from. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying just cause he wasn't a big prospect doesn't mean he can't be good (don't want you twisting my words ;-) ). I'm saying he has only shown anything in 1 month.

Rowand was in his first full year and now he is supposed to be in his prime? Just seems a bit odd to me. Players usually are in their prime by then cause they have played in the majors for a while and all their tools/experience come together. You can say the magic number is 27, but I just think there is more to it then waking up and being that age.

He might put up a nice year, I'm not even denying that. I'm saying expectation where to much for him based on everything you can look at.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pedantic » Wed May 04, 2005 7:11 pm

I like to think of him like Podsednik with slightly more pop and a lot less speed. He has that same aura that makes people think he'll be better than he can be, too.

Edit: Oh, and a slightly belated happy birthday to bselig. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers