Rocker at it again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rocker at it again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

well

Postby gabenterprises » Wed May 04, 2005 2:15 pm

The bottom line is that some words are worse than someactions, for example, calling someone a racist name could be worse than throwing a tissue at them. However, throwing a rock is worse than calling a name. Words and actions are worth considering as comparable. Like some actions are worse than other actions, some actions are worse than other words.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reznorsboy » Wed May 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Hey at least Rocker is honest and doesn't try to be someone he's not. Imagine if other players said what they really thought about different issues instead of saying what people want to here. John Rocker is an American citizen and therefore is entitled to his opinion. If you don't like it then don't listen!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Brade wrote:I don't support the guy, but it's ridiculous how he gets more hate for mere words rather than actually committing any crimes, like a lot of other players...

That is actually a very good point. I guess this is a case where words speak louder than actions. :-?

does anyone have the clip of what he said??? Id say what he said deserves all the attention its gotten and probably more.

John Rocker wrote:On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

In passing, he calls an overweight black teammate "a fat monkey." Asked if he feels any bond with New York Knicks guard Latrell Sprewell, notorious for choking coach P.J. Carlesimo two years ago, Rocker lets out a snarl of disgust. "That guy should've been arrested, and instead he's playing basketball," he says. "Why do you think that is? Do you think if he was Keith Van Horn -- if he was white -- they'd let him back? No way." Rocker is rarely tongue-tied when it comes to bashing those of a race or sexual orientation different from his. "I'm not a racist or prejudiced person," he says with apparent conviction. "But certain people bother me."

"So many dumb asses don't know how to drive in this town," he says, Billy Joel's New York State of Mind humming softly from the radio. "They turn from the wrong lane. They go 20 miles per hour. It makes me want -- Look! Look at this idiot! I guarantee you she's a Japanese woman." A beige Toyota is jerking from lane to lane. The woman at the wheel is white. "How bad are Asian women at driving?"
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mbuser » Wed May 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Brade wrote:I don't support the guy, but it's ridiculous how he gets more hate for mere words rather than actually committing any crimes, like a lot of other players...

That is actually a very good point. I guess this is a case where words speak louder than actions. :-?

does anyone have the clip of what he said??? Id say what he said deserves all the attention its gotten and probably more.

John Rocker wrote:On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

In passing, he calls an overweight black teammate "a fat monkey." Asked if he feels any bond with New York Knicks guard Latrell Sprewell, notorious for choking coach P.J. Carlesimo two years ago, Rocker lets out a snarl of disgust. "That guy should've been arrested, and instead he's playing basketball," he says. "Why do you think that is? Do you think if he was Keith Van Horn -- if he was white -- they'd let him back? No way." Rocker is rarely tongue-tied when it comes to bashing those of a race or sexual orientation different from his. "I'm not a racist or prejudiced person," he says with apparent conviction. "But certain people bother me."

"So many dumb asses don't know how to drive in this town," he says, Billy Joel's New York State of Mind humming softly from the radio. "They turn from the wrong lane. They go 20 miles per hour. It makes me want -- Look! Look at this idiot! I guarantee you she's a Japanese woman." A beige Toyota is jerking from lane to lane. The woman at the wheel is white. "How bad are Asian women at driving?"

well i don't think anyone can argue that he is a bigot and a dumbass, but he should have never been given a pulpit in the first place
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Well most pro athletes are given pulpits and sometimes you run the risk of finding out they really are dumb. :-D

I don't agree with or condone what Rocker said but the truth is he was just a young punk caught up in a heated rivalry (at the time) and he stuck his foot in his mouth. The PC machine caught hold of it and it became larger than life.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers