What is Sports Illustrated smoking? Top 20 young pitchers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Sports Illustrated smoking? Top 20 young pitchers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WittyC » Wed May 04, 2005 1:00 am

Trojan Pony wrote:
WittyC wrote:Halladay's 28... Penny's 27...

Halladay is 27. DOB: May 14, 1977. So he turns 28 in 10 days. Either way, he's too old for a 26 and under list and as such you'll see I deleted him and bumped everyone after him up a spot.

Penny is 26. DOB: May 24, 1978. He's still 26 for 20 more days so he makes the list.

Is this a... what day is this? That's my bad. :*) Just looked at the years.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RJCarrot » Wed May 04, 2005 1:20 am

No Meyers? Or does everyone really expect him to tank before the year is over?
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby Trojan Pony » Wed May 04, 2005 1:29 am

The SI list is clearly "The Top 20 Young Pitchers RIGHT NOW", not "The Top 20 Young Pitchers."

Buehrle at #2, Oliver Perez at #12, Willis in the top 10, and the fact that Garland, Myers, Bedard, and Francis even made the list are strong evidence that the author of these rankings was heavily influenced by recent results. I think if he did it again in a month it would be drastically different, nevermind at the end of the season.
Last edited by Trojan Pony on Wed May 04, 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Wed May 04, 2005 1:32 am

RJCarrot wrote:No Meyers? Or does everyone really expect him to tank before the year is over?

In short, yes.

You're the Phillies fan though, is there any reason to believe he would bust out after three year of consistent mediocrity? Did he make any major changes to his technique, training, etc.?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 04, 2005 7:43 am

How is Prior so high?! I know he had one absolute dominant season, but he's been riddled with injuries ever since. I'd put him in the top 20 for sure, but in the top 3?! They guy has to prove to me he can stay healthy.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 04, 2005 8:02 am

ocmusicjunkie wrote:The simple fact is that if you look at all elite pitchers, they are smart guys who control themselves and the game around them. Zambrano can't even resist beaning people when he's mad about a HR from the previous batter. I do NOT want someone that unstable on the mound in a big game, because we've all seen the results caused by some of his meltdowns.

Isn't this often a criticism of Pedro or Schilling? Fact is, hes had two seasons with great ERA. He isn't off to the best start right now, but its pretty early.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Wed May 04, 2005 9:24 am

Buehrle overrated, Harden underrated, Garland overrated, I love the Erik Bedard on the list (He's underrated, but properly rated here), Dan Haren belongs on this list, maybe Greinke. Overall I don't think it's too bad at all. SI has made some bigger stinkers...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blackbearabroad » Wed May 04, 2005 10:04 am

Granted, Peavy is a brillent pitcher with very good stuff and a great head for the game, but i think the love fest is not quite warented. Will he be great for years to come? yes, is he that great yet? no. While comparing road game ERA's is warented 3/5 of the parks in the NL west are pitchers parks, and it wasn't like Arizona was putting many balls out of the BOB last year (ask Randy about that). Zambrano is still learning the game and how to better control himself. I was watching that fabled game last year when he plunked Edmonds, but there are a few other pitchers with a penchent for drilling batters and a few of them have been pretty good (pedro anyone? can we remember all the way back to the 99 playoffs?).
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:52 am

Nomar4prez wrote:How is Prior so high?! I know he had one absolute dominant season, but he's been riddled with injuries ever since. I'd put him in the top 20 for sure, but in the top 3?! They guy has to prove to me he can stay healthy.

He had a sub 1 ERA until the 5th inning of his last start. As long as he is healthy (hopefully!) he is very dominant. Though the last start was a collapse like that 2003 Bartman game :~(
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 04, 2005 11:17 am

Hey! No Chacin on that list :-D

Other than Buehrle and Zito the list is ok, not perfect, but ok.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers