I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 03, 2005 8:37 pm

chadlincoln wrote:He commented on our league home page about the win last night. I mocked the Cardinals as a good Cub fan does. He said that the Cubs have never made a big 9th inning comeback. I remember they did. I think it was in the 1990's when they scored 9 or 10 in the 9th to win. Can someone help me with date/opponent/actual runs scored?
According to ESPN and Elias the Cubs comeback you are thinking of never happened.

Won In Ninth Inning
Trailed by 6-plus runs in the ninth inning:
Year Final score Score in ninth inning Go-ahead hit
2005 Cardinals 10, Reds 9 Reds 9-3 John Mabry HR
2001 Pirates 9, Astros 8 Astros, 8-2 Brian Giles grand slam
1998 Phillies 8, Pirates 7 Pirates, 7-1 Mike Lieberthal 3-run HR
1990 Phillies 12, Dodgers 11 Dodgers, 11-3 Carmelo Martinez RBI single
1986 Angels 13, Tigers 12 Tigers, 12-5 Dick Schofield grand slam
Last five occurrences.
(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)


http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bbtn/index
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 325)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:He commented on our league home page about the win last night. I mocked the Cardinals as a good Cub fan does. He said that the Cubs have never made a big 9th inning comeback. I remember they did. I think it was in the 1990's when they scored 9 or 10 in the 9th to win. Can someone help me with date/opponent/actual runs scored?
According to ESPN and Elias the Cubs comeback you are thinking of never happened.

Won In Ninth Inning
Trailed by 6-plus runs in the ninth inning:
Year Final score Score in ninth inning Go-ahead hit
2005 Cardinals 10, Reds 9 Reds 9-3 John Mabry HR
2001 Pirates 9, Astros 8 Astros, 8-2 Brian Giles grand slam
1998 Phillies 8, Pirates 7 Pirates, 7-1 Mike Lieberthal 3-run HR
1990 Phillies 12, Dodgers 11 Dodgers, 11-3 Carmelo Martinez RBI single
1986 Angels 13, Tigers 12 Tigers, 12-5 Dick Schofield grand slam
Last five occurrences.
(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)


http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bbtn/index


Damn, chadlincoln...that sucks. :-D
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan

Postby JTWood » Tue May 03, 2005 9:14 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:He commented on our league home page about the win last night. I mocked the Cardinals as a good Cub fan does. He said that the Cubs have never made a big 9th inning comeback. I remember they did. I think it was in the 1990's when they scored 9 or 10 in the 9th to win. Can someone help me with date/opponent/actual runs scored?
According to ESPN and Elias the Cubs comeback you are thinking of never happened.

Won In Ninth Inning
Trailed by 6-plus runs in the ninth inning:
Year Final score Score in ninth inning Go-ahead hit
2005 Cardinals 10, Reds 9 Reds 9-3 John Mabry HR
2001 Pirates 9, Astros 8 Astros, 8-2 Brian Giles grand slam
1998 Phillies 8, Pirates 7 Pirates, 7-1 Mike Lieberthal 3-run HR
1990 Phillies 12, Dodgers 11 Dodgers, 11-3 Carmelo Martinez RBI single
1986 Angels 13, Tigers 12 Tigers, 12-5 Dick Schofield grand slam
Last five occurrences.
(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)


http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bbtn/index


Damn, chadlincoln...that sucks. :-D

Of course, Pogo is a Cardinals fan. He might have simply deleted that comeback from his report.

Just kidding, Pogo. Besides, we all know that Cardinals' fans are the most honest and scrupulous people in the whole, wide world.

:-P :-D
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Re: I'm in an arguement with a Cardinal fan

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 03, 2005 9:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:He commented on our league home page about the win last night. I mocked the Cardinals as a good Cub fan does. He said that the Cubs have never made a big 9th inning comeback. I remember they did. I think it was in the 1990's when they scored 9 or 10 in the 9th to win. Can someone help me with date/opponent/actual runs scored?
According to ESPN and Elias the Cubs comeback you are thinking of never happened.

Won In Ninth Inning
Trailed by 6-plus runs in the ninth inning:
Year Final score Score in ninth inning Go-ahead hit
2005 Cardinals 10, Reds 9 Reds 9-3 John Mabry HR
2001 Pirates 9, Astros 8 Astros, 8-2 Brian Giles grand slam
1998 Phillies 8, Pirates 7 Pirates, 7-1 Mike Lieberthal 3-run HR
1990 Phillies 12, Dodgers 11 Dodgers, 11-3 Carmelo Martinez RBI single
1986 Angels 13, Tigers 12 Tigers, 12-5 Dick Schofield grand slam
Last five occurrences.
(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)


http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bbtn/index


Damn, chadlincoln...that sucks. :-D

I guess I was thinking about this game...
http://www.netexposure.net/cubs/html/recap_20010708.htm
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10983
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:18 pm

What's so amazing about that game? They scored 6 in an inning but were only down 1 run in the 9th.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 03, 2005 9:21 pm

yea, this is kinda dumb -- no offense.

I hate stats like that. Cubs should jsut totally break the bank and make an all-star team some year and put this thing to bed. or fire their manager.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 03, 2005 9:25 pm

I remember the Jays hitting 10 HR in one game to beat the Orioles on Sept 14, 1987, but nothing about the Cubs, sorry.

GO CARDS!
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 275)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:30 pm

This was the 8th inning...big game though...

" Chicago's Orval Overall was given the start for Game 2, having only served in a relief role in the Series opener and was paired up against the Tiger's ace Bill Donovan. Both pitchers went head-to-head for four innings straight with neither allowing a single hit in a 0-0 standoff. Three innings later, the Tigers had managed three hits and the Cubs had one. The game remained scoreless going into the eighth inning with both teams waiting for the other to blink. Donovan blinked first and ran into trouble in the bottom of the inning. Joe Tinker started the rally with a two run homer to right field and before the inning was over, the Cubs had four more hits and four more runs. Ty Cobb tried to generate some momentum with a run-scoring single in the ninth, but once again, Chicago prevailed, winning 6-1. The Cubs were on a roll and won their sixth consecutive Series game against the Tigers."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1908ws.shtml

We had a Cards' fan in our league last year who named his team 1908/1982 to taunt us, as we are in Champaign, right along the 'frontier'. My only real reply is to refer to Pujols as 'Big Al' after the strip club in Peoria...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby chadlincoln » Wed May 04, 2005 10:42 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:What's so amazing about that game? They scored 6 in an inning but were only down 1 run in the 9th.

Being a Cub fan, it doesn't take a whole lot to get you excited.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10983
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:57 am

He was trashtalking because of one game that didn't affect the Cubs at all? Tell him to just be quiet, it really doesn't matter at all. We'll see what happens when the Cubs and Cards play again. }:-)
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact