Lyon's job security - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lyon's job security

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lyon's job security

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue May 03, 2005 4:12 pm

I just got Lyon pretty cheap as part of a trade. I was expecting to pay alot more since the guy has been incredible so far. Am I missing something?

He's been lights out but is his job safe?

Aquino or Valverde pose much of a challenge for the closer spot?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 03, 2005 4:14 pm

The word I've been hearing is that it's his job to lose. Aquino and Valverde will most likely be late inning relievers until Lyon blows a couple saves in a row.

And that's the way it should be.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 03, 2005 4:14 pm

well, they brought in valverde yesterday when the game wasn't on the line, so i've got to think it's lyon's job to lose at this point. that said, one reason you got him so cheap is because he's really not that good. he's pitching over his head at this point, and somewhere down the road he'll come back to earth. whether that means he'll lose the closing job or not remains to be seen...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue May 03, 2005 4:26 pm

I'll be the first guy to admit that I don't know alot about the Diamondbacks or Lyon, but he's got to be better than Valverde & Aquino.

And with Arizona being a pretty decent team in a competitive division he should get lots of chances.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:I'll be the first guy to admit that I don't know alot about the Diamondbacks or Lyon, but he's got to be better than Valverde & Aquino.

And with Arizona being a pretty decent team in a competitive division he should get lots of chances.

I've been following the D-Backs for a while now (pity me) and Valverde and Aquino are both very solid relief pitchers. If I was Lyon I'd be looking over my shoulder constantly because either of them are capable of handling the closer role, and have proven it in the past. Both were sidelined by injuries, not incompetence.

But I own Lyon and I'm hoping he keeps the job.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Tue May 03, 2005 4:40 pm

Valverde when healthy is an extremely effective reliever with clear closer potential. I wouldn't dismiss him as a no-talent bum.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 03, 2005 4:47 pm

valverde has had his chance, and he hasn't exactly ran with it. he is talented though. Lyon did outplay aquino for the job in spring training. And he has blown, what one this year? And an error was involved? It seems like the manager likes him because of the amount of pitches in his arsenal.

I am beginning to think all of this talk of him losing his job is getting a bit much. He is doing nothing but earning leash here. His whip isn't fantastic, but if it ain't broke, you certainly don't fix it for semi-unproven commodities.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm

He's fine for now.....but, if he blows 2 or 3 in a row he could be in trouble. In the meantime, he's pitching a lot better than I thought he would. }:-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 03, 2005 4:54 pm

great gretzky wrote:valverde has had his chance, and he hasn't exactly ran with it. he is talented though. Lyon did outplay aquino for the job in spring training. And he has blown, what one this year? And an error was involved? It seems like the manager likes him because of the amount of pitches in his arsenal.

I am beginning to think all of this talk of him losing his job is getting a bit much. He is doing nothing but earning leash here. His whip isn't fantastic, but if it ain't broke, you certainly don't fix it for semi-unproven commodities.

Very true. I don't see Lyon going anywhere unless he really, really blows it.

If he does, the job will go to Valverde. When healthy Valverde is one heck of a fireballer and did a smoking job as closer once Mantei crapped out last season. He strained his bicep or something similar later that year and he hasn't been the same since. If he's actually healthy now he'll be dominant.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue May 03, 2005 6:05 pm

Lyon is leading the league in saves. There's no way he's gonna lose his job unless he blows several saves in a row, and even then I'm not sure Zona's got anyone better on the bench. With all the injuries and uncertainty plaguing the closer position this year, Lyon is one of the most solid of the second-tier closers.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers