Brand New Branyan? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brand New Branyan?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed May 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:As someone mentioned, Damian's been hitting 6th, and well too. Branyan's hitting 7th with JJ behind him. So that does account for some of the walks. The 0-3 3K day against the Scrubbies is going to happen from time to time, especially against dominant pitching like Zambrano. Overall though, he does look better at the plate this year, and I believe (don't have the #s in front of me) he leads the team in p/pa.

Thanks Scooter. You always have great insights on your team.

SO what are your predictions for Branyan?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:As someone mentioned, Damian's been hitting 6th, and well too. Branyan's hitting 7th with JJ behind him. So that does account for some of the walks. The 0-3 3K day against the Scrubbies is going to happen from time to time, especially against dominant pitching like Zambrano. Overall though, he does look better at the plate this year, and I believe (don't have the #s in front of me) he leads the team in p/pa.

I'm optimistic for him, but I can understand the doubters. He doesn't exactly have a great career history. He won't stay where he is right now, he was in a zone there for awhile. He'll come back down, and it may have started last night against Zambrano and with this first K today against Dempster. I would peg him with a season average of about .255-.260 maybe. His HR numbers could be big, it really depends on how Yost plays him. For some reason, he has an infatuation with Jeff Cirillo, and Jeff's playing against every LHP that starts against us. It also depends on JJ Hardy's progress. Right now, JJ is hitting like a pitcher (.143 BA), so with essentially 2 pitchers hitting behind him, he's going to walk quite a bit.

I like Branyan right now for one reason in particular. He's hitting 7th, with Overbay (.359/.495/.654) hitting 5th and Damian Miller (.316/.388/.434) hitting 6th. He's got guys getting on base in front him, so he has the RBI opportunites, or he'll be walked to get to JJ. When/if JJ starts hitting, Russ should have some great opportunities. If you own him though, have someone else to play when the Brew plays lefties.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Wed May 04, 2005 9:14 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I'm optimistic for him, but I can understand the doubters. He doesn't exactly have a great career history. He won't stay where he is right now, he was in a zone there for awhile. He'll come back down, and it may have started last night against Zambrano and with this first K today against Dempster. I would peg him with a season average of about .255-.260 maybe. His HR numbers could be big, it really depends on how Yost plays him. For some reason, he has an infatuation with Jeff Cirillo, and Jeff's playing against every LHP that starts against us. It also depends on JJ Hardy's progress. Right now, JJ is hitting like a pitcher (.143 BA), so with essentially 2 pitchers hitting behind him, he's going to walk quite a bit.

I like Branyan right now for one reason in particular. He's hitting 7th, with Overbay (.359/.495/.654) hitting 5th and Damian Miller (.316/.388/.434) hitting 6th. He's got guys getting on base in front him, so he has the RBI opportunites, or he'll be walked to get to JJ. When/if JJ starts hitting, Russ should have some great opportunities. If you own him though, have someone else to play when the Brew plays lefties.

Whatever happened to Helms? I thought he was Yost's boy. I can't see Branyan gettng much more than 400 ABs unless one of the corner OF get hurt. But if he does get regular PT and eclipses 400 ABs, I would imagine 30 HR is in the bag. WIth his contact rate, I would predict he won't hit much higher than .250 if that.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:08 pm

Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Whatever happened to Helms? I thought he was Yost's boy. I can't see Branyan gettng much more than 400 ABs unless one of the corner OF get hurt. But if he does get regular PT and eclipses 400 ABs, I would imagine 30 HR is in the bag. WIth his contact rate, I would predict he won't hit much higher than .250 if that.

Helms used to be Yost's boy, but reality finally set in. Helms' only skill is hitting left handed pitching. He's an absolute butcher in the field, one of the worst I have ever seen. Cirillo's also not a good hitter, but he's the best defensive 3rd baseman on the roster. I just hate having Russ' bat out of the lineup.

Oh yeah, and solid predictions. I also feel 400+ AB = 30+ HR. It might mean 170+ K too.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers