How long before R. Wagner gets the nod in Cincy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How long before R. Wagner gets the nod in Cincy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long before R. Wagner gets the nod in Cincy?

Postby Box » Tue May 03, 2005 9:06 am

He's hit a bit of a rough spot this past week, but after last night's awesome performance by Graves, the end can't be too far off, right?

There's some talent on the WW but I aint gonna drop a guy who's soon to be taking over a closer's role.

Any ideas how much longer Miley is gonna tolerate Graves blowing games?
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:08 am

Graves' job is safe....for now. He's a better pitcher than he's showing. Wagner has had his troubles lately too, so that really hurts his case.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby benjapage » Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 am

as a devout reds fan, i can speak for most of red nation when voicing my wretched disgust with graves' method. how he's been tolerated this long is beyond me. "getting the job done" is one thing, but perpetually putting your team in a bad position doesn't wear well on the clubhouse psyche.

hopefully, dave recognizes what's happening and will change course. casey had three different chances to end the inning, but there is definitely something about graves being on the mound that makes the whole team tighten up. it's not good. not good at all.

edit: slomo is right, however, in that by all accounts, danny's job is [unjustifiably] safe.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby phunkadelic » Tue May 03, 2005 9:50 am

Wagner looked aweful last night as well, even though it didn't show up in his line.

Reds will keep Danny in there until they are able to dump his salary, unfortunately.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DrewBrown » Tue May 03, 2005 11:19 am

slomo007 wrote: He's a better pitcher than he's showing.

LOL. Mike, you're showing your baseball ignorance here. His career BAA is .270, which is hardly closer material. He was pretty good from '98-2000 but since then he's been crap.

However I do agree with you that he'll hold the job for another couple months.
DrewBrown
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby quicksilver8 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:21 am

slomo wrote:
Graves' job is safe....for now. He's a better pitcher than he's showing. Wagner has had his troubles lately too, so that really hurts his case.

I agree, Graves is probably safe for now. I disagree that Graves is a bettter pitcher than this. He is exactly this kind of pitcher. He was lit up for a very high batting ave allowed, especially the 2nd half last year. R.Wagner is a better pitcher with better stuff....however, Slomo's final point is also correct...Wagner has not been real good this week either... :-t
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:24 am

quicksilver8 wrote:slomo wrote:

I agree, Graves is probably safe for now. I disagree that Graves is a bettter pitcher than this. He is exactly this kind of pitcher. He was lit up for a very high batting ave allowed, especially the 2nd half last year. R.Wagner is a better pitcher with better stuff....however, Slomo's final point is also correct...Wagner has not been real good this week either... :-t

Well I'm not saying Graves is good....he's very average. But he's not a 5+ ERA pitcher either. A low/mid 4 ERA is about what I would expect from him...he'll rebound to that point, unless he's hiding an injury (I don't think he is).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers