when is Beltre going to show some power? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

when is Beltre going to show some power?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

when is Beltre going to show some power?

Postby bruuno2 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:03 pm

Can he still hit 40 homers?Between him and Beltran i'm falling way back in hrs. :-o
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Punisher » Mon May 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Because last year was a contract year and im sure he only plays unless you put a huge wad of cash in front of him
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon May 02, 2005 7:09 pm

wed. the 18th. ;-7

actuallyi don't see him hitting 40 bombs this year. he's playing most games at safeco which will cut down the power some. he'll still be good around 35 but i just dont' see him coming close to last year.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:09 pm

The Punisher wrote:Because last year was a contract year and im sure he only plays unless you put a huge wad of cash in front of him

Yep.

I avoided this guy like the plague for a reason. While most people had him as the number 2 third baseman on their rankings, and a 2nd rounder, I had him as the 6th best thrid baseman, and wouldn't consider taking him until the 6th or 7th.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby brandnew » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 pm

This contract year BS pisses me off like nothing else. It's ridiculous, players have the biggest egos, do you actually think they enjoy hitting .200? He's in a slump, he's even said he's not comfortable at the plate yet, just wait it out a little longer.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby matmat » Mon May 02, 2005 7:18 pm

brandnew wrote:This contract year BS pisses me off like nothing else. It's ridiculous, players have the biggest egos, do you actually think they enjoy hitting .200? He's in a slump, he's even said he's not comfortable at the plate yet, just wait it out a little longer.

well. yes, they do not enjoy hitting below the mendoza line, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do participate in extra workouts and keep themselves in better shape in contract years...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Mon May 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Yes, but that doesn't mean that his production dips THIS low from the previous year. Working out and keeping in shape can only do so much for you, and for a guy like Beltre, who's already ripped, and has great hitting skills, it's probably not going to make that drastic of a change.

For a guy like JD Drew, contract years apply, as he doesn't sit out with little injuries, and plays 100% to get some cash. Adrian Beltre is not this type of player.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Mon May 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Last year was really the only year Beltre started out hot, cuz he usually heats up during the 2nd half. Maybe we are looking at the same Beltre as prior to 04? :,-(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 7:44 pm

brandnew wrote:This contract year BS pisses me off like nothing else. It's ridiculous, players have the biggest egos, do you actually think they enjoy hitting .200? He's in a slump, he's even said he's not comfortable at the plate yet, just wait it out a little longer.

I agree with this also. The season is still young and if he is still hitting like this in June, I'd start worrying. Even then, he hit much better in the second half in 04.

Has there been any study done on the contract year issue?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Mon May 02, 2005 7:59 pm

I think it varies with individual cases more than anything.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers