Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 03, 2005 10:38 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:The only difference between Torii Hunter and Bernie Williams 5 years ago is Torii has a bigger smile.

And Bernie's wicked guitar chops. But that is a good point though.

I do believe Damon is serious (or at least THINKS he's serious :-D ), he doesn't seem like the type of guy to play games, and he just seems like a straight-shooter. Perhaps Boston fans could enlighten me as to whether that's an accurate observation...

They have the same avatar now. That is really, really funny. Cooner v. Conner. Ugh.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:12 am

Amazinz wrote:
nikku88 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Pierre is a restricted FA after this season.

What is a restricted FA in baseball?

He is still bound by arbitration for the 2006 season. His contract expires at the end of this year but the Yankees, for instance, couldn't just sign him because the Marlins hold exclusive rights.

Do you have a link for this? I'm not contesting, but I simply have read in various articles that he's a potential free-agent after this year and have not read anything about him being bound to one more year of arbitration. Obviously, the Marlins could decline to offer him arbitration, but I truly thought he was an unrestricted free agent after this season. Thanks.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 03, 2005 11:40 am

No I don't have a link handy but you can look at his time served and figure it out yourself. A player can't declare free agency until after 6 years of service.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:54 am

I understand and agree with that. And this is only his 5th full year. But, again, I have read in several places that he's a potential free agent after this year - so the two don't add up - unless I've misread the articles.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 03, 2005 12:04 pm

I guess you could say he is a "potential" free agent because his contract expires and if the Marlins can't trade him, resign him or choose to waive their arbitration rights he does become a full-fledged free agent because he has 5 years of service. But that's really a technicality and although it has happened before it's probably not likely.

If you come across an article (or if you know of one) that talks about Pierre's upcoming free agency (an article that is not from a fansite, blog, etc.) please post a link. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 03, 2005 12:09 pm

i think damon is just trying to up his value among the other teams in baseball.... BTW didn't pavano say something similar last year about the yanks and the sox..... i imagine if george wants him and shows him the money and years, damon will sign with the yanks....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers