Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cooner » Mon May 02, 2005 11:09 pm

Conner wrote:Do you have a problem?

Making an off-topic comment every now and then is a lot different than completely changing the topic of the thread.

A very in depth and interesting discussion could be made about Juan Pierre's "real-life" value as opposed to his fantasy value. I just didn't think it'd be right to start that discusiion in this thread. What's wrong with that?


There's nothing wrong with not hijacking a thread. However, making a point to squash a line of debate as inappropriate seemed a little hypocritical after your first posts, which were far from appropriate. In fact, they were unnecessarily sarcastic and rude. So frankly, yes, I do have a problem with people who make snide comments about other people when it is unprovoked and uncalled for.


edit: And I have a problem with people who try to rip off my name to confuse others ;-) (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1028
Joined: 2 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: my home is in NYC, my heart is in PNC Park

Postby Madison » Tue May 03, 2005 12:05 am

Not one person thinks this was said to help drive up the contract offers this offseason? :-?

Interesting.............. :-?

I don't know Damon as a person at all, but laying out the groundwork of what he wants and making sure to put the Yankees in the picture (even saying he won't go there) drives up the offers. It's a smart business move.

Of course, it's very possible that he's being totally honest that he just doesn't feel like there's any way he would sign with the Yankees. Don't know for sure. I've got a hunch he's being truthful, but I honestly can't say I'm positive about that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby nikku88 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:24 am

Amazinz wrote:Pierre is a restricted FA after this season.


What is a restricted FA in baseball?
Image
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1438
Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka

Postby Conner » Tue May 03, 2005 12:59 am

Cooner wrote:
Conner wrote:Do you have a problem?

Making an off-topic comment every now and then is a lot different than completely changing the topic of the thread.

A very in depth and interesting discussion could be made about Juan Pierre's "real-life" value as opposed to his fantasy value. I just didn't think it'd be right to start that discusiion in this thread. What's wrong with that?


There's nothing wrong with not hijacking a thread. However, making a point to squash a line of debate as inappropriate seemed a little hypocritical after your first posts, which were far from appropriate. In fact, they were unnecessarily sarcastic and rude. So frankly, yes, I do have a problem with people who make snide comments about other people when it is unprovoked and uncalled for.


edit: And I have a problem with people who try to rip off my name to confuse others ;-) (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek)


To be fair....I didn't think it was completely unprovoked. The guy's first paragraph (the part I didn't quote) had some snide comments, too.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue May 03, 2005 1:10 am

RyanK wrote:okay my brain jsut did a 360, cooner and conner.... i really thought for a second one of you was quoting yourself... ahhhh my head hurts !+)


Haha, I've been getting them confused lately. Though as long as one has an avatar and the other doesn, it's easier. ;-)

BTW, I believe Damon's agent is Boras. So this really doesn't come as a surprise to me. I'd bet this was something they talked about in advance, just to maybe get an early feeling about his FA next year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby Conner » Tue May 03, 2005 1:14 am

hybrid wrote:
RyanK wrote:okay my brain jsut did a 360, cooner and conner.... i really thought for a second one of you was quoting yourself... ahhhh my head hurts !+)


Haha, I've been getting them confused lately. Though as long as one has an avatar and the other doesn, it's easier. ;-)


In the immortal words of Andrew "Dice" Clay:


"Now it's mine!"
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 03, 2005 1:17 am

Conner wrote:
hybrid wrote:
RyanK wrote:okay my brain jsut did a 360, cooner and conner.... i really thought for a second one of you was quoting yourself... ahhhh my head hurts !+)


Haha, I've been getting them confused lately. Though as long as one has an avatar and the other doesn, it's easier. ;-)


In the immortal words of Andrew "Dice" Clay:


"Now it's mine!"


:-S
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 03, 2005 2:06 am

nikku88 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Pierre is a restricted FA after this season.


What is a restricted FA in baseball?

He is still bound by arbitration for the 2006 season. His contract expires at the end of this year but the Yankees, for instance, couldn't just sign him because the Marlins hold exclusive rights.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 03, 2005 7:53 am

Madison wrote:Not one person thinks this was said to help drive up the contract offers this offseason? :-?

Interesting.............. :-?

I don't know Damon as a person at all, but laying out the groundwork of what he wants and making sure to put the Yankees in the picture (even saying he won't go there) drives up the offers. It's a smart business move.

Of course, it's very possible that he's being totally honest that he just doesn't feel like there's any way he would sign with the Yankees. Don't know for sure. I've got a hunch he's being truthful, but I honestly can't say I'm positive about that.


I do. When the Yankees come with money, he'll take it. But if they give Damon a four year deal, but refused to give Beltran a six year deal... well, that's just plain dumb.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby AT » Tue May 03, 2005 9:53 am

The only difference between Torii Hunter and Bernie Williams 5 years ago is Torii has a bigger smile.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Oct. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact