Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Damon would rather retire than play for the Yanks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:40 pm

Silly quote, I'm sure if no one else wanted him he'd go there. But hes silly if he expects a contract that large.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:45 pm

So he's going to retire, but wants to play for 6 more years...? :-?

He's full of crap. If the Red Sox don't offer him something decent, he'll sign somewhere else, New York being a big possibility. He wouldn't be the only Red Sock to leave for New York. coughboggscoughclemenscough.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 02, 2005 6:55 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:So he's going to retire, but wants to play for 6 more years...? :-?

He's full of crap. If the Red Sox don't offer him something decent, he'll sign somewhere else, New York being a big possibility. He wouldn't be the only Red Sock to leave for New York. coughboggscoughclemenscough.

Clemens left the Sox for the Blue Jays. Get your facts straight. While we're on the topic, I can't remember, but didn't the Spankees give Clemens a Hummer b/c he was 'retiring'? And then didn't he go play with some guy named Andy Pettitte in Houston???

Very few players ever play for just one team for thier career if they have any talent, and most aren't willing to take less to be on a better team (i.e. free up money) b/c there is no salary cap in baseball.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Redefine9d » Mon May 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Isn't Torii Hunter a free agent after this season too? I could see the Yanks going after him.
Redefine9d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Conner » Mon May 02, 2005 7:00 pm

klvrdude wrote:

Very few players ever play for just one team for thier career if they have any talent, and most aren't willing to take less to be on a better team (i.e. free up money) b/c there is no salary cap in baseball.

You're one insightful son of a gun....
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 02, 2005 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the Yankees would go after Damon in a New York minute. He fits their needs pretty well but he may have just sealed the deal with his remarks.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:07 pm

klvrdude wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:So he's going to retire, but wants to play for 6 more years...? :-?

Clemens left the Sox for the Blue Jays. Get your facts straight. While we're on the topic, I can't remember, but didn't the Spankees give Clemens a Hummer b/c he was 'retiring'? And then didn't he go play with some guy named Andy Pettitte in Houston???

Lol I know he went to Toronto first. But nobody thought he would go to the Yankees after all his great years in Boston. Alot of people from Boston saw him as a traitor, wanting to go to New York so that he could win a World Series, just like Boggs.

What does playing for 1 team for your entire career have to do with anything? I'm not saying Clemens wasn't expected to go to another team, just not the Yankees. Same for Boggs.

And I'm not sure exactly where Houston, Andy Pettitte and the Hummer they gave him fit into this equation, but whatever.

The point is, Damon would not be the only prominent Red Sock to go to the Yankees.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby The Punisher » Mon May 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Damon is my homeboy
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stoner420 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:16 pm

i love the fact that he doesnt want to go to ny... but he certainly seems confused... i read the article... it said that he would consider retiring next year, then later he said that if the sox offer him 3 years he will pass cuz he wants 7... does that make any sense?
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 02, 2005 7:16 pm

Pedro once had a similar quote "I'd rather play in Montreal in a dime than New York for 100 million." He then nearly signed with the Yanks this offseason and ended up in New York anyway. Goes to show what money will do. I don't think Damon will be any different.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers