Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Webb

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 02, 2005 4:24 pm

Has he returned to his rookie year form? I think he's a good buy-low canidate that has faded into the background. His numbers right now are average, but he faced both the Rockies and the Padres in back to back games which can't be easy for any pitcher. I think with the new guys the D-backs have he will have more runs backing him and this will results in more wins.

Also, I would like to believe he's getting his control back, but I haven't seen any of his games. Anybody else have a chance to see him pitch?
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Mon May 02, 2005 4:26 pm

He is always a nice ERA (career 3.2) and he will get you 160+ K's.
His one of dynasty pitchers ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 02, 2005 4:37 pm

Webbie gets tons of ground ball outs with his vicious sinker. Now that he has a decent defense behind him, he's a much more valuable pitcher, and he's more confident throwing his good stuff because he knows the outs will be made and not bobbled. The D-Backs were the Titanic last year and anyone aboard was massively screwed. They look to be a decent team this year and I think Webbie's going to win a few games.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby mcmahojl » Mon May 02, 2005 4:55 pm

His numbers this year are fine, but I am afraid of having him blow up like he did last year. Also, last year he did mighty fine in the beginning also, then he fell apart. I am staying away for now, give someone else the risk.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon May 02, 2005 6:31 pm

mcmahojl wrote:His numbers this year are fine, but I am afraid of having him blow up like he did last year. Also, last year he did mighty fine in the beginning also, then he fell apart. I am staying away for now, give someone else the risk.

I don't think you can say anyone who ended the year with an ERA in the 3's "blew up". As with most true sinkerballers, he has a rather high WHIP, only made worse with his BB issues. Still, he's going to get you K, ERA, and maybe even some W's this year. If you can get him cheap, go for it. ;-D
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby klvrdude » Mon May 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Has anyone seen the man pitch? Did he look in control (for the most part)?
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 02, 2005 9:50 pm

as long as people keep swinging at his sinker, he'll be great. the only question is how long people keep swining at it. last year they stopped and he walked a TON. have to wait and see....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Airzoom32 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:22 am

I live in AZ and have watched every single start he has made. Aside from about 4-5 pitches this whole year he is keeping the ball below the belt of the oposing hitter. Last year he would have 5-6 pitches a game that would be high and a batter would kill the ball either fair or foul. Once he starts getting long fly balls hit off him he seems to just completely lose his game plan and start pitching differently and ends up walking people. As long as he continues to keep the ball down with the D-Backs new offense and defense I think a line of 14W 3.25ERA 1.25WHIP is very reachable, and if he gets good support you could make an argument for up to 17-18 wins. Take the win predictions with a grain of salt though, I am a D-Backs fan.
Airzoom32
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers