VERNON "NOT SO" WELLS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VERNON "NOT SO" WELLS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

VERNON "NOT SO" WELLS

Postby FarnsworthLESS » Mon May 02, 2005 3:08 pm

what is this guys deal?? I have had him the last 3 years and I am sick of waiting and getting nothing from him. Should I trade him, if so, what are possible OF comparable to his awful numbers??

sick and tired :-P
FarnsworthLESS
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 02, 2005 3:14 pm

I dunno, he's a 'tools' guy and I got excoriated for admitting I'd dumped him in another thread. One of my competitors grabbed him so watching him close in on 'the Mendoza Line' has been a pleasant byproduct of the maneuver...

I don't think that now is the best time to trade him though, since he's having trouble, if you trade him, you aren't gonna get much back for him.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby scb175 » Mon May 02, 2005 3:17 pm

Draft Wells, bench him for the first month of the season. Then put him in your lineup, and watch out for .350+ months to come. I think he likes the warm weather!?
scb175
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 02, 2005 3:23 pm

Here's a blurb about Vernon Wells from the 2005 Baseball Prospectus:

"Lost in a generally disappointing season was that Wells continued to work on his plate discipline, with career highs in walks, walk rate and pitches seen per PA. The rest of his decleine was part a fluctuation in his batting average, part a loss caused by hitting the ball on the ground more. Look for him to get back to his '03 swing and surpass even that year's stellar performance. His next 3 years are going to be huge."

The editors at BP don't go around heaping praise like this on any player. Vernon Wells will be good. Don't drop him, and don't trade him unless you get good value for him. Stash him on your bench if you've got a viable replacement, and wait for Vernon's onslaught to begin.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

!!

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 02, 2005 3:30 pm

Just another thing to keep in mind...career BA splits:

Apr - .221
May - .318
Jun - .325
Jul - .297
Aug - .273
Sep - .307

HOLD ONTO VERNON! 8-o
Last edited by beltrans_boy on Mon May 02, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 02, 2005 3:30 pm

well, he DID say that he'd be going for 30 HR/ 30 SB this year in the SI 'paper lion' story...

I'd kind of like to see him do it as I found myself suddenly rooting for the Jays w/ him and Batista on my team at the start of the year. I had read the BP spiel on him too, which is why I grabbed him in the first place. It will be interesting to see how he plays out.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 02, 2005 3:34 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:well, he DID say that he'd be going for 30 HR/ 30 SB this year in the SI 'paper lion' story...

I'd kind of like to see him do it as I found myself suddenly rooting for the Jays w/ him and Batista on my team at the start of the year. I had read the BP spiel on him too, which is why I grabbed him in the first place. It will be interesting to see how he plays out.

I'm not sure if Vernon will ever go 30/30, but we'll have to wait and see on that...
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 3:34 pm

I still like Vernon a lot but I doubt he will steal 30 or even 20 for that matter.

Hopefully he comes around soon. I'm tired of my team collectively batting below their weight.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon May 02, 2005 4:07 pm

All the indicators (K/BB, AB/HR) suggest wells is right where he should be, if not better. He is getting terrible luck with balls put in play (something like .165), and that stuff balances itself out. Wells is still a potential monster. You've held on this long, don't lose the faith.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm

An interesting thing to keep an eye on is that the Blue Jays started stealing bases like mad out of the blue on Sunday.. guys like Koskie and Hinske each had steals (that never happens), Rios had one, and they also tried a double-steal that failed. The significance of this is that the Blue Jays have NEVER tried to steal since Ricciardi came in--losing runners on the bases goes against their philosophy or something. So when the Jays have 4 attempts in one game it is something very out of the ordinary. Don't know if this is a trend or just a one-time thing, but they just fired the hitting coach and extended the manager's contract early last week, they've started playing well (and guys like Koskie have come out of slumps), and the stolen bases were a big factor in them beating the Yankees. Don't know for sure, but maybe this is a signal that they are maybe easing up on the more hardcore aspects of Ricciardi's philosophies and turning into a more aggressive running team like they promised they would be out of spring training. It was actually exciting watching them play that way. If that happens, it would probably be good news for Wells owners re: SB's, he has the speed to do it.. assuming he ever gets on base in the first place.. :*)
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers